CEPH: Use lvm volume as block.db device ?

Belokan

Apr 27, 2016
Hello all,

Before being flamed ;) please note that my question is related to a @home infrastructure and is not supposed to be deployed in any kind of production !

My Proxmox infrastructure is based on 3 nodes with an SSD used for OS and a single dedicated disk used as CEPH OSD (bluestore).
As I do not use the data lvm volume local storage (mounted under /var/lib/vz) I'd like to use it for block.db instead.
Is it possible to pass a volume to pveceph like --journal_dev=/dev/pve/blockdb ? I've planed to reduce /dev/pve/data volume & ext4 to about 5GB and then create a new /dev/pve/blockdb volume.

If this is possible, can I change the block.db location on "live OSD" or should I destroy my OSD and recreate them with the new journal_dev one by one ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Olivier

Is it possible to pass a volume to pveceph like --journal_dev=/dev/pve/blockdb ? I've planed to reduce /dev/pve/data volume & ext4 to about 5GB and then create a new /dev/pve/blockdb volume.
AFAIK, it is not tested but should work. While it may not degrade your performance or make your OS sluggish in home use, I DO NOT recommend it. From my experience, it will kill performance and makes the cluster unstable especially when under load.

If this is possible, can I change the block.db location on "live OSD" or should I destroy my OSD and recreate them with the new journal_dev one by one ?
You need to re-create the OSD.

Thanks a lot for your answer Alwin ! Is your answer (first part regarding performance) valid if instead of an LVM volume I create a dedicated partition on the boot SSD ?

Have a nice day.

In either case more IO is done on the SSD containing the OS. The writes of the DB/WAL (small writes) and the writes of the OS are competing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!