[SOLVED] Ceph rebalancing just stopped

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

I have a small three node cluster. There are two pools with three OSDs each. Each node hosts one OSD from each pool (one HDD, one SSD). Replication rule is 3/2.

When one of the OSDs in one of the nodes started acting up, I decided to not just replace the OSD but to also replace the entire (for different reasons).

So I set up a new node with identical OSDs and added it to the pool. Ceph started copying PGs to the new node. After a while I shut down the old node so that my pool again had 3 running nodes. Ceph continued to copy (now rebalance, I think) PGs to the new node.

But then, it suddenly stopped and just complains about one node with two OSDs being down. It shows that so and so many PGs are undersized but it doesn't do anything about this.

Any ideas why? Can I force Ceph to continue rebalancing?

Thanks!

This can have various causes.
Did you remove the OSD cleanly before removing the node? Monitor service also removed and recreated?
How full is the pool? If individual disks are too full (I think 85%) it stops with some optimizations.
It is also recommended to have at least 3, better 4 OSDs per node in the pool.

Did you remove the OSD cleanly before removing the node? Monitor service also removed and recreated?
No, I just shut the node down. Ceph complains about the missing node and the missing OSDs. But it did copy over a good part to the new node and new OSDs before it stopped.

The same goes for the monitor service. But there are enough monitors in the cluster.

How full is the pool? If individual disks are too full (I think 85%) it stops with some optimizations.
Between 44% and 55%

It is also recommended to have at least 3, better 4 OSDs per node in the pool.
I don't have that. But that has never kept Ceph from doing what it was supposed to do.

The same goes for the monitor service. But there are enough monitors in the cluster.
How many monitors do you have? It is recommended to use 3 monitors and 5 monitors for large setups of approx. 10 nodes or more.
Between 44% and 55%
good
I don't have that. But that has never kept Ceph from doing what it was supposed to do.
Of course this works, but it can lead to undesirable effects and may limit the availability of the cluster if a single OSD fails.

How many monitors do you have? It is recommended to use 3 monitors and 5 monitors for large setups of approx. 10 nodes or more.
There is one monitor on each of the three (online) nodes (and one on the offline node as well).
Of course this works, but it can lead to undesirable effects and may limit the availability of the cluster if a single OSD fails.
Understood. But I would need to so many OSDs per node that my energy bill would become fully unsustainable :( However, this should not affect rebalancing, right?

These are only the recommendations for productive operation. Ceph also works with 3 OSDs up to many thousands.
Only with 3 it does not scale well and if a disk fails, it can quickly become tight in the pool.

Please only ever configure an odd number of monitors.

Reactions: proxwolfe
Please only ever configure an odd number of monitors.
This may have been the decisive advice.

I wanted to keep my to-be-replaced node untouched until the replacement node was completely up to speed. And I had thought that monitors, OSDs, etc. on an offline node would have no negative impact.

But with your advice, I booted up the to-be-replaced node, stopped and destroyed all OSDs, monitors, managers, etc. And now Ceph is rebalancing again towards the replacement node.

Thanks!

Reactions: Falk R.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!