CEPH OSD Crash on Same Node

malhivm

Jun 13, 2024
Hi Everyone, I'm a homelabber. I have a 3 node cluster with ceph and I have one OSD that consistently causes my problems. It is the only one that always crashes. I consistently have either the Monitor or OSD on this node crashing. This causes pgs to show up as inconsistent. I can manually repair them to bring back the cluster to a healthy state, but it happens again. I think it typically happens when there are network issues. I should put the ceph traffic on a separate network, but I haven't gotten to that point yet. Any advice based on the log attached?

The only thing that I can do is delete and recreate the OSD. It's strange to me that it's the same node all the time.

Attachments

• log.txt
    375.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
hey thanks for willing to help. I don't see anything obvious. When I went through the Ceph OSD log, or the Ceph Mon log, I didn't see anything specifically for the sda device. I just installed rsyslog, so maybe it will pick up some IO errors on sda.

dmseg displays ceph[722223]: segfault at a9 ip 000000000050c66d sp 00007ffc7b948120 error 4 in python3.11[41f000+2b5000] likely on CPU 1 (core 1, socket 0). It could be completely unrelated and I'm not able to recreate the failure on demand, nor do I really want to.

The problem could very well be the sata controller or motherboard, or memory or processor. I replaced the drive and cable and changed the sata port. If you have any other advice to troubleshoot this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!