Ceph monitor is low on available space

Maggi

Apr 26, 2024
Hi,

I am new to proxmox and I am installing a proxmox cluster of 3 nodes with ceph. It will be a production cluster, but the servers we have comes with Internal Dual SD of 16GB, I already installed proxmox and I am going to start with ceph but my question is, is this ok for production? will be 16GB enough?

On the other hand, I can see that from the OS disk proxmox create a directory (local of 7GB, used 4.2GB) and a LVM-Thin (local-lvm of 5GB). For what I can see in my lab, looks like ceph monitor use some space from there because I have an alert on it related to Ceph that says: HEALTH_WARN: mon pve1 is low on available space. mon.pve1 has 26% avail. I know that this alert is because I put a couple of images there. So as a precaution I will disabled, in my future prod cluster, those 2 locals storage to avoid an user use it to store some ISOs or images (I have created and configured a separate zfs for this), Will this action be enough to keep the space stable or Ceph will need more space than what the SD currently have?.

This is the alert in my lab and the space available:
1721965413205.png
1721965556446.png

This is the current space available in my future prod cluster:
1721965484570.png

I hope I have explained well what I want to say and thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• 1721964980586.png
    1721964980586.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
1] Proxmox on sd card is no go, use ssd
2] give enough space for pve + ceph (at least multipe 10 GBs) - updates, ceph (problem states) spamming logs, etc, it can save cluster from fail due out of space

Reactions: Maggi
1] Proxmox on sd card is no go, use ssd
2] give enough space for pve + ceph (at least multipe 10 GBs) - updates, ceph (problem states) spamming logs, etc, it can save cluster from fail due out of space
Sorry I just realized I never response to your message. Thank you so much for your reply. I used SSDs as you recommended :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!