CentOS 7 LXC - Upgrade ?

fxandrei

Renowned Member
Jan 10, 2013
So i have a old CentOS 7 LXC in proxmox.

Is there any way i could upgrade this to something newer like almalinux ?
Has anyone tried this kind of thing before ?

I would prefer to avoid having to create a new lxc\vm and migrate everything over to it !

Years ago, I also worked with CentOS and Redhat for a while. My conclusion was that it is much easier with Debian-based distributions.
Whatever you decide. There is no upgrade option. CentoOS also still uses Cgroup v1, which is already legacy under Proxmox 8.

Rocke LInux would then be the official successor to CentOS. However, my recommendation here is clearly in favour of Ubuntu Server LTS.
Both systems are included as a download directly in Proxmox.

Reactions: fxandrei
Yes, i think i will probably do a clean install with ubuntu server. I havent decided yet if it will be a vm or a lxc container.
But i was wondering if there is a way to upgrade a CentOS 7 LXC container.
So no dice ?

Yes, i think i will probably do a clean install with ubuntu server. I havent decided yet if it will be a vm or a lxc container.
To be honest, the question is not that easy to answer. Basically, I'm a friend of CTs. But I only use them for things with little storage space, i.e. 10-30GB... I also once had a CT with over 1TB, then it gets interesting with the backup. Because incremental backup works but Proxmox Backup Server always has to go through the whole one TB with every backup. Depending on the type of the storage, the backup is also stored locally before.
CT technology changes every few years (as seen with CentOS7). If you want to be on the safe side and use a lot of complex services too, I would advise you to use a full VM. But you have to decide that for yourself.

But i was wondering if there is a way to upgrade a CentOS 7 LXC container.
So no dice ?

You can try it of course. I believe that this is much more effort and not worth it.
With Ubuntu 24.04 you have peace in paradise until 2036. If you would, there is also a Pro support for security patches (Apache, Nginx, Postfix, Python...) and Live Kernel.

https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

Reactions: fxandrei

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!