Can't use Remote Desktop After installing my AMD R9 270 video driver on vm windows 10 Pro

johnw40223

Mar 17, 2021
I was able to install the driver but halfway through install it locked up remote desktop.I was about to reboot it but when i rebooted i was no longer able to use remote desktop. I can boot VM machine without the video added to hardware list and connect to remote desktop but once i put the video card back it does not work anymore.

Attachments

• HardwareID.PNG
    HardwareID.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 5
  • vm102config.PNG
    vm102config.PNG
    18.8 KB · Views: 5
  • vmHardwareConfig.PNG
    vmHardwareConfig.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
If you use PCI passthrough you wont be able anymore to use the VNC viewer that is used by the proxmox webgui. Or do you mean you can't use RDP anymore?

If you use PCI passthrough you wont be able anymore to use the VNC viewer that is used by the proxmox webgui. Or do you mean you can't use RDP anymore?
yes i cant use RDP or remote desktop into virtual machine

Last edited:
If you cannot RDP, it sounds like the VM is no fully starting correctly or the virtual network device got reconfigured by adding the passthrough device.
I have had better luck with passthrough of AMD cards without the x-vga=1 option. I also think it will work better if you remove the args: line from the configuration and the hidden=1 option. However, I have only used this with RX570, HD7750 and Linux, not on Windows.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!