Can't ssh into privileged container

NinjaSeven

Jul 23, 2024
Hello Everyone,

I'm encountering an issue with SSH on one of my privileged containers

Setup Details:​

• Proxmox VE Version: 8.2.4 (did an update today to make sure there are no bugs)
  • Container Template: ubuntu-23.04-standard_23.04-1_amd64.tar.zst / also tried 24.04-2
  • Container Type: Privileged and Unprivileged

Issue Description:​

I have multiple containers set up using the same template. SSH works flawlessly on the unprivileged containers, but I encounter issues with privileged containers.

When i try to connect i get this error:
ssh: connect to host 10.1.8.4 port 22: Connection refused

When I try to start SSH on a privileged container, I get the following error after running /usr/sbin/sshd -T:

Missing privilege separation directory: /var/run/sshd

Manually creating the directory and setting the appropriate permissions fixes the problem temporarily:

mkdir -p /var/run/sshd
chmod 0755 /var/run/sshd
systemctl restart ssh

However, this fix only lasts until the next reboot. The directory /var/run/sshd is missing again after a reboot, causing SSH to fail to start.

I use terraform to deploy the container:

JSON:
resource "proxmox_lxc" "jellyfin" {
  target_node     = "pphost04"
  hostname        = "cJellyfin"
  ostemplate      = "templates:vztmpl/ubuntu-23.04-standard_23.04-1_amd64.tar.zst"
  unprivileged    = false
  ostype          = "ubuntu"
  ssh_public_keys = file(var.pub_ssh_key)
  start           = true
  onboot          = true
  memory          = 2048
  password        = random_password.jellyfin_password.result
  swap            = 1024
  cores           = 2
  vmid            = 0
  rootfs {
    storage = "local-lvm"
    size    = "10G"
  }

network {
    name   = "eth0"
    bridge = "vmbr0"
    gw     = var.gateway_ip
    ip     = var.jellyfin_ip
  }

lifecycle {
    ignore_changes = [
      target_node,
    ]
  }
}

When i use the same code but set unprivileged to 'true' everything works. I'm not really that familiar with LXC, so maybe there is some limitation in place i dont understand. Any ideas why this is happening and how i can fix this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!