Can't seem to open any ports

vetris

Feb 22, 2015
Hello,

I'm just trying to do something really simple: open a port. For some reason I am unable to either through proxmox's firewall or through iptables in the VM.

I'm currently running proxmox in VirtualBox on my server to make sure everything works before going forward. I've opened up many ports through Virtualbox, so I think it's a configuration issue on my end.

With respect to the Proxmox VE firewall, no matter what I do it doesn't seem to make any actual differences.
For my Proxmox firewall configuration:
  • Enabled the firewall in Datacenter, Node, and VM
  • Set input and output policy to ACCEPT in all three
  • Opened tcp port 8080 in all three
  • Restarted to be sure

For the normal IPtables configuration:
  • Loaded the modules into the kernal (xt_tcpudp modprobe ip_conntrack xt_state)
  • used iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT
  • Restarted networking to make sure it shows up in iptables-save

I restart the machine between switching which firewall I use. Also, when creating an openvz container I use the routed mode to give it an IP address. I tried using the bridged mode, but I was never able to assign an IP to the system to connect to it via SSH.

Is there a guide to this somewhere that I can look into?

Thank you for your help!

Edit: I found that there are a whole bunch of extra steps that I need to do with virtualbox https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VirtualBox. It's probably just easier to install it on an extra computer to play around with it.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!