can't restore old style archive to storage

jasond

Sep 4, 2009
I'm trying to restore a backup created with vzdump (on proxmox 1.3) to a 1.4b2 machine. The destination storage named 'onetb' is DRBD-backed LVM.

When I try to run the command:
Code:
qmrestore --storage onetb vzdump-2666.tgz 3333
I receive the error:
Code:
INFO: restore QemuServer backup 'vzdump-2666.tgz' using ID 3333
INFO: extracting 'qemu-server.conf' from archive
INFO: extracting 'vm-2118-disk.qcow2' from archive
INFO: restoring old style vzdump archive - no device map inside archive
INFO: can't restore old style archive to storage 'onetb'
Questions:
What is the alternative to "old style archive" and how do I get vzdump to create the backups in this form.
How do I convert from one form to the other.

Questions:
What is the alternative to "old style archive" and how do I get vzdump to create the backups in this form.

previous vzdump versions (<= 1.1) creates "old style archive"

How do I convert from one form to the other.

That is not possible. But you can restore old archives too - only restriction is that the final storage is filesystem based.

That is not possible. But you can restore old archives too - only restriction is that the final storage is filesystem based.

How do I migrate a vm to shared storage so that I can test shared storage?

Update: I restored the vzdump to local storage on the 1.4b2 cluster. Then I created a backup of that virtual machine using the newer version of vzdump (via the gui). When I then try to restore this newly created backup to shared storage I get another error:

Code:
qmrestore --storage onetb vzdump-qemu-3333.tgz 3334
INFO: restore QemuServer backup 'vzdump-qemu-3333.tgz' using ID 3334
INFO: extracting 'qemu-server.conf' from archive
INFO: extracting 'vm-disk-virtio0.qcow2' from archive
INFO: unable to restore 'vm-disk-virtio0.qcow2' to storage 'onetb'
INFO: storage type 'lvm' does not support format 'qcow2
INFO: tar: vm-disk-virtio0.qcow2: Cannot seek to 105984: Broken pipe
INFO: tar: 5137: Child returned status 255
INFO: tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
INFO: starting cleanup
ERROR: restore QemuServer backup 'vzdump-qemu-3333.tgz' failed - command 'tar xf 'vzdump-qemu-3333.tgz' '--to-command=/usr/sbin/qmrestore --storage onetb vzdump-qemu-3333.tgz 3334 --extract'' failed with exit code 2

How do I convert "vm-disk-virtio0.qcow2" to a format that lvm does support?

Last edited:
use qemu-image to convert the image to raw format (before you do the backup - edit the config file manually)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!