cant provision from template.

unni

Apr 3, 2014
I am newbie to proxmox. I had tried to install VM using ISO (kvm). It worked fine. But when i tried to create CT from system appliance, it is showing as "running", but the console is showing black screen with ` symbol. Do i missed something? I just copied the template tar.gz to the template path. What is the performance difference between vm and ct? Which is better in production and please tell me the major differences?

Hello Unni,

As a newbie myself I cannot help you w your blank screen issue. But when it comes to VM vs CT it seems that CT performs (slightly) better for at least the following reasons:
- only application is loaded in CT, no OS (i.e. Linux) is loaded because its already running "under the hood" (and shared by all the CTs);
- no OS loaded means less memory consumption, possibly increasing performance (less paging/swapping);
- calls from application to OS (kernel) can be executed slightly more efficient than with VM because w execution of OS code (system calls) less virtualization overhead is involved than with VM in which the whole OS execution needs also be virtualised (to make sure the hypervisor (i.e. ProxMox/KVM) stays in control).

To be continued ...

Last edited:
when i tried to create CT from system appliance, it is showing as "running", but the console is showing black screen with ` symbol.

you are probably hitting the issue in this (sticky) forum post:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/11...for-OpenVZ-Debian-containers-(V2-2-and-later)

as for CT/VM they are both individual "machines", but they are completely different from the technological POV.

VMs are full virtualization (but you can use paravirt drivers on them). So you can run anything which is compatibile with the virtual hardware.
CTs use the host's running kernel, so only linux, and this has some implication to what software can be run on them (they MUST depend on the kernel and its options).

Marco

Thanks Steijn & Marco.

The ` symbol issue fixed automatocallly. Actually i waited for some more time for the CT to boot and then pressing enter key gives me a login screen. However i can see the booting in the VM. I wonder why its not showing in CT. Regarding network, which will be better for me? venet or veth.? what is the main difference?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!