Can't migrate vm with local resources: clipboard = vnc

Glacial1222

Aug 17, 2024
Hi All,

I have a 3-node Proxmox cluster with ZFS replication and migration of VMs setup. Recently I used the following to allow copy and paste into the VM consoles from the Proxmox web gui:

sudo apt install spice-vdagent

sudo systemctl start spice-vdagent

systemctl enable spice-vdagent

sudo systemctl status spice-vdagent

- ON Proxmox node where VM resides

qm set 2230 -vga std,clipboard=vnc

This is working well, but I now realise that I cannot migrate the VMs between nodes any more. I get the following error:

Can't migrate vm with local resources: clipboard = vnc

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Are there any ways that I can proceed with both functionalities?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I got the same issue as you. I bypassed it by create a backup of the VM in sharing directory, then re-deploy it in other node.
Hope to see a better solution here.

Live migration isn't supported by QEMU if you enable VNC clipboard (yet). It's mentioned in the docs [1], although in the quite deep in the Configuration section:

[...]
vga: [[type=]<enum>] [,clipboard=<vnc>] [,memory=<integer>]
Configure the VGA Hardware. If you want to use high resolution modes (>= 1280x1024x16) you may need to increase the vga memory option. Since QEMU 2.9 the default VGA display type is std for all OS types besides some Windows versions (XP and older) which use cirrus. The qxl option enables the SPICE display server. For win* OS you can select how many independent displays you want, Linux guests can add displays them self.You can also run without any graphic card, using a serial device as terminal.

clipboard=<vnc>
Enable a specific clipboard. If not set, depending on the display type the SPICE one will be added. Migration with VNC clipboard is not yet supported!
[...]

Hope this gets implemented soon, as it is quite useful.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu/KVM_Virtual_Machines#qm_configuration

Last edited:
Thanks, good to know it's not just me. That is disappointing, I guess I will disable clipboard and hope this is implemented soon!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!