[SOLVED] "Can't live migrate VM with local cloudinit disk" but cloudinit is on cluster storage

JamesT

Sep 10, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
1627527036974.png
1627527115510.png
1627527192395.png

I suspect that cluster storage which is the same on each node, is not defined as "shared storage", which would be a central storage that each node connects to and shares.

However, why can the migration be done with pool1:vm-101-disk-3 but not with pool1:vm-101-cloudinit ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I suspect that cluster storage which is the same on each node, is not defined as "shared storage", which would be a central storage that each node connects to and shares.
Yes, you are correct.

However, why can the migration be done with pool1:vm-101-disk-3 but not with pool1:vm-101-cloudinit ?
Because cloud-init disks need to be handled differently, because they are generated, and in it the context of live-migration this was simply not implemented. But it is now thanks to @mira, so this will be possible in a future version.

@fiona i have the following issue related only to cloud-init drives.

I want to migrate a VM while storage type is differ on a destination and it works perfect with other drives. But Cloud-init failed to migrate.

2024-09-03 10:16:52 ERROR: storage migration for 'znv1:vm-142-cloudinit' to storage 'data1' failed - cannot migrate from storage type 'zfspool' to 'lvmthin'
2024-09-03 10:16:52 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
2024-09-03 10:16:52 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:01): storage migration for 'znv1:vm-142-cloudinit' to storage 'data1' failed - cannot migrate from storage type 'zfspool' to 'lvmthin'

Hi,
@fiona i have the following issue related only to cloud-init drives.

I want to migrate a VM while storage type is differ on a destination and it works perfect with other drives. But Cloud-init failed to migrate.

2024-09-03 10:16:52 ERROR: storage migration for 'znv1:vm-142-cloudinit' to storage 'data1' failed - cannot migrate from storage type 'zfspool' to 'lvmthin'
2024-09-03 10:16:52 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
2024-09-03 10:16:52 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:01): storage migration for 'znv1:vm-142-cloudinit' to storage 'data1' failed - cannot migrate from storage type 'zfspool' to 'lvmthin'
certain drives like TPM state and cloud-init are always migrated via our storage layer (live-migration uses QEMU's drive mirror functionality for other disks). However, the ZFS storage plugin currently only supports export/import to/from ZFS. As a workaround, you can use a different storage type for the cloud-init disks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!