Can't Hibernate a VM because it says there's already a state suspended

TheCrowFather

Mar 22, 2021
blog.gravitywall.net
I was having an issue where I couldn't get any VMs to hibernate or power down so I rebooted the entire server.

Now one of my VMs can't hibernate because there's already a vm-130-state-suspended.raw file in storage. When I go to storage and try to remove that storage tells me that it can't remove it because Guest with VMID 130 exists and to delete the image from the guest hardware pane. So, I go over to the guest hardware page but it's not there.

Is it safe for me to just SSH in and remove this state-suspend.raw image from the command line? Or will that cause issues with the VM loading. The VM is not resuming, its booting normally even through this suspended state "exists"

hi,

When I go to storage and try to remove that storage tells me that it can't remove it because Guest with VMID 130 exists and to delete the image from the guest hardware pane. So, I go over to the guest hardware page but it's not there.
can you try to run qm rescan and see if it shows up in the hardware pane then?

Is it safe for me to just SSH in and remove this state-suspend.raw image from the command line? Or will that cause issues with the VM loading. The VM is not resuming, its booting normally even through this suspended state "exists"
you could take a backup of it and try that

hi,

can you try to run qm rescan and see if it shows up in the hardware pane then?

you could take a backup of it and try that

I tried qm rescan in the proxmox shell but get "vm is locked (suspended)". I tried it again and it found a HDD that was not attached to a different VM then said "VM is locked (suspended)". The suspended disk did not appear.

I wound up using ssh to delete the state and that fixed the issue. I can now suspend and resume the VM without issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!