[SOLVED] Can't edit any options (guests, pve etc)

supergurke

Jun 19, 2024
New 8.2.4 install.

I can't edit any options in the web interface. For example, I forgot to turn on "start at boot" for one of the guests but I can't edit it.
All edit buttons etc are greyed out.

I think my user isn't privileged, but I am using the unconstrained root@pam user?!

Any ideas?

Normally the user root@pam is authorized to do everything. Have you possibly changed something in the permissions? You can of course also restrict this user.

If you have not done this, I would always rule out the standard error sources first.
Test another browser.
Delete browser cache.

Can you create new VMs LXCs ?

Can you start & stop them & existing ones?

What else is greyed out?

To check for errors, try journalctl --since "2024-08-14 00:00:00" --until "2024-08-15 00:00:00" (replace for the appropriate time-range needed).

I think my user isn't privileged
Not sure what that means. Have you somehow altered permissions?

Thank you for your answers.

Normally the user root@pam is authorized to do everything. Have you possibly changed something in the permissions? You can of course also restrict this user.
No I have not touched the permissions.

I've installed it, fixed the network configuration, swapped to the free apt urls, updated, bought a license, switched back, updated. Nothing else afaik.

If you have not done this, I would always rule out the standard error sources first.
Test another browser.
Delete browser cache.
Tried this, no change.

Can you create new VMs LXCs ?
Yes, both VMs and LXCs

Can you start & stop them & existing ones?
Yes all of the above

What else is greyed out?
20240815_21h09m51s_grim.png

Nothing else afaik

To check for errors, try journalctl --since "2024-08-14 00:00:00" --until "2024-08-15 00:00:00" (replace for the appropriate time-range needed).
No errors/failures.

I think my user isn't privileged
Not sure what that means. Have you somehow altered permissions?
Sorry, I don't know Proxmox's permission model yet. I meant maybe my root user is lacking edit rights on existing VMs.

At this point I start to think it might be something super stupid, probably me.

Can you edit the Start at boot of other VMs LXCs?

Can you provide output for qm config 101

Can you edit the Start at boot of other VMs LXCs?
No, none of them. Doesn't matter if running or not.

Can you provide output for qm config 101
Code:
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
cpu: host
hostpci0: 0000:c1:00
ide2: local:iso/TrueNAS-13.0-U6.2.iso,media=cdrom,size=1024524K
memory: 16384
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1720555762
name: truenas
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:36:47:DD,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,tag=1
net1: virtio=BC:24:11:DE:81:06,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,tag=10
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-0,iothread=1,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=0e2c3f5b-3456-49e9-96b9-8971bf7b11ec
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 48e70688-f5a3-4de1-9d26-11249ce95790

That gave me the right idea, I tested qm set 100 --onboot 1 and that worked alright. (Checked with qm config before and after.) So it seems that it's not a permission problem, at least not on the command itself.

My immediate problem is solved by this. Why the webinterface doesn't work - no idea.

I also tried adding a new user/group (pam auth'ed), added a group permission for / with role Administrator, logged in with that new user: no change.

Last edited:
Have you run any scripts, for example to deactivate the subscription message?

I don't think so (not 100% sure, my memory isn't what it used to be). Bash history shows nothing. I edited the sources.list.d files by hand.

I mostly messed with the kernel because I had network driver problems. I did not interface with proxmox directly, all just linux-level fiddling

You can try, install PVE 6.5 Kernel. This Kernel is optional Supported.

That gave me the right idea, I tested qm set 100 --onboot 1 and that worked alright.
That is exactly where I wanted you to go. (Sorry I have been away/unavailable the last day). I'm not sure why you show here "100" , I guess you mean VMID "101" - since this was the one in question.

Can you try: nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf & then edit:

Code:
# from:
# to:
onboot: 0

#save & exit

Then check the web interface again.

I only know such problems with the GUI from installations where unchecked scripts were executed. Scripts that turn off the subscription message are very popular. However, these often have negative effects and generate inexplicable random errors in the GUI.
If you can do everything via CLI, then the GUI is faulty.

I only know such problems with the GUI from installations where unchecked scripts were executed. Scripts that turn off the subscription message are very popular. However, these often have negative effects and generate inexplicable random errors in the GUI.
If you can do everything via CLI, then the GUI is faulty.
No scripts run - I checked my bash_histories again.

I can apparently do the things broken in the GUI in the CLI. So yes, I think the GUI has a problem here.

Can you try: nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf & then edit:

Code:
# from:
# to:
onboot: 0

#save & exit

Then check the web interface again.
Updates in GUI, so works same as CLI. But no change wrt the edit buttons.

Slowly starting to wonder whether a reinstall would be faster.

So to be clear: You can't edit any VM/LXC options in the GUI or only Start at boot?
Can you edit any options for other VMs/LXCs?

So to be clear: You can't edit any VM/LXC options in the GUI or only Start at boot?
Can you edit any options for other VMs/LXCs?

No can't edit any options on any of my VMs/LXCs.
The "Edit" and "Revert" buttons are simply greyed out.

Ok I figured it out. Very sorry to have wasted your time.

I simply had to select a row in the table, then hit edit. I expected that I need to hit edit, then can modify the values in the table.

So it was something very stupid in the end

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!