Can't Connect to Proxmox VE Web GUI from Windows Laptop

theumbra

Jan 24, 2024
Hi.

New to Proxmox and just recently installed it via USB onto a new mini computer and am having issues connecting to the web GUI via my Windows laptop. Nothing that I've found online has helped so I'm a bit lost as of now.

Information/Problems:
- Proxmox VE server is directly connected via ethernet to switch and has a reserved IP address
- Windows laptop is connected to the VLAN via WiFi
- Android phone is connected to the VLAN via WiFi
- Can ping Proxmox VE IP from Windows laptop and receive a response
- nmap scan from Windows laptop shows port 8006 is open for Proxmox VE
- Am denied when attempting to ssh to Proxmox VE IP as root from Windows laptop
- Cannot ping Windows laptop from Proxmox VE
- Can ping gateway from Proxmox VE
- Can ping Google from Proxmox VE
- Can access Proxmox VE Web GUI from Android phone
- Yes, I'm using https://<proxmox_ip>:8006

Troubleshooting:
- Confirmed both Windows laptop and Proxmox VE are on the same subnet with the same gateway via ipconfig /all on Windows laptop & ip a on Proxmox VE
- Reinstalled Proxmox VE with a new IP at install time
- Tried disabling firewalls on Windows laptop and enabling network/file share
- Changed Proxmox IP and Windows laptop IPs and checked leases... No collision.

Everything to me is screaming Windows firewall is blocking Proxmox, but I disabled them and still nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

- Am denied when attempting to ssh to Proxmox VE IP as root from Windows laptop
- Cannot ping Windows laptop from Proxmox VE
Denied as in "bad user/password" or cant establish connection?
AFAIK windows firewall doesnt block ICMP by default, but I could be mistaken. Boot the laptop to a live Linux flavor (via usb for example) and exclude windows from the equation.
Everything to me is screaming Windows firewall is blocking Proxmox, but I disabled them and still nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Yu can direct connect windows to PVE to remove switch from the path, if the laptop has rj45 port.
You can also run wireshark/tcpdump on both sides to note whether traffic is received and replied to, but replies are not getting through. Or traffic is never received.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Denied as in "bad user/password" or cant establish connection?
AFAIK windows firewall doesnt block ICMP by default, but I could be mistaken. Boot the laptop to a live Linux flavor (via usb for example) and exclude windows from the equation.

Yu can direct connect windows to PVE to remove switch from the path, if the laptop has rj45 port.
You can also run wireshark/tcpdump on both sides to note whether traffic is received and replied to, but replies are not getting through. Or traffic is never received.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Forgot to include that I did attempt to connect the windows laptop directly to Proxmox VE via ethernet and didn't get a connection.

Forgot to include that I did attempt to connect the windows laptop directly to Proxmox VE via ethernet and didn't get a connection.
Unfortunately this information can encompass almost any explanation related to computer science, from bad cable/nic to burned out flux capacitor. Or perhaps a DHCP failure.

You are going to have to provide the state of your system, preferably in text format encoded in CODE tags, or as a screenshot. (ip a)
The symptoms you are looking for are "NO CARRIER" "DOWN", etc. Additionally, outputs of your client IP configuration would be helpful.

You may also want to plug "proxmox realtek nic" into Google and read through the results.

Good luck.

So your PVE is happily online and has stable network/outbound connection? If the answer is yes, then the problem is likely in your laptop and/or router/switch. Both are out of scope of the "Proxmox Installation and Configuration" forum.
That said, I gave you a few recommendations that may help clear up the situation:
Boot the laptop to a live Linux flavor (via usb for example) and exclude windows from the equation.
run wireshark/tcpdump on both sides to note whether traffic is received and replied to
outputs of your client IP configuration would be helpful.

Good luck

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!