[SOLVED] Can't boot my VM anymore: disk not found?

sylar12

Apr 16, 2023
Hi all,

After a reboot of my node, one of my VM (running Home Assistant OS) is not booting anymore. I get the error message:
BdsDxe: failed to load Boot0001 "UEFI QEMU HARDDISK QM00005 " from PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x7,0x0) /Sata (0x 0,0xFFFF,0x0) : Not Found

I have already found multiple posts with more or less similar error messages, all apparently related to UEFI boot, but I didn't found any clear solution so far.
To be honest, I have absolutely no hints on what's happening ...

Here is my VM configuration:

Code:
root@proks:~# qm config 101
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0
cores: 2
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,size=4M
memory: 4096
name: hassos
net0: virtio=4E:C2:33:89:DC:AA,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sata0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1,size=50G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
serial0: socket
smbios1: uuid=9e6ce446-6583-4109-ba0b-d53953833608
sockets: 1
usb0: host=0658:0200,usb3=1
usb1: host=1a86:7523,usb3=1
vmgenid: 601dac37-c6c6-466f-a5d3-1d5b76578a0a

I have checked that secure boot is disabled, and also checked the boot order (where the first is: sata0 (local-lvm:vm-101-disk1, size=50G))

Any help would be highly appreciated ;)

Which version of Proxmox VE are you running? If it's pre6.2 it might be a bug. Otherwise it sounds like your partition table might have been corrupted. If you have a Backup/snapshot, try restoring. If not, you should really make backups.
You can try rewriting the partition table with so [1] but take a snapshot first and/or make a backup.

gdisk -l /dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1 to check the table

Code:
gdisk /dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1
w

to make a new table.

Again, make a backup before running these commands.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/failed-to-boot-from-uefi-vm-disk.65112/post-355254

Hi @noel.

I'm using Proxmox 7.3-6.
I did find the same solution a few hours after my initial message and I can confirm these simple commands solve the boot issue.
It seems this is a bug already reported here, at least as far as I understand the underlying problem.

Anyway, thank you very much for your answer!

Reactions: noel. and leesteken
Which version of Proxmox VE are you running? If it's pre6.2 it might be a bug. Otherwise it sounds like your partition table might have been corrupted. If you have a Backup/snapshot, try restoring. If not, you should really make backups.
You can try rewriting the partition table with so [1] but take a snapshot first and/or make a backup.

gdisk -l /dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1 to check the table

Code:
gdisk /dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1
w

to make a new table.

Again, make a backup before running these commands.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/failed-to-boot-from-uefi-vm-disk.65112/post-355254
Thank you very much, i solved it too with your suggestion

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!