cant boot anymore.. can i save the containers?

kapcom01

Hello, I have Proxmox running on VirtualBox and I had some problems with many many reboots on the host. So Now Proxmox fails to boot reporting errors on disk. I tried to fix them but I couldnt. I can run Finnix disro on a different VM and then i can see pve-root, pve-swap, and pve-data. Can i save from there my containers to use them on a new Proxmox installation?
Thanks!

Just boot from rescue system and save the containers with this commands:

cd /<mountpoint>/var/lib/vz/private
for i in *
do
cd $i
tar ../cfvz $i.tar.gz *
cd ..
done

Not the cleanest way but it works. On a new/reinstalled hn out these archives into /var/lib/vz/template/cache/ and simply create new Containers with the same settings and select the foreign archive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your help!

I had two folders inside /var/lib/vz/private (100 and 101) and I manually tared them with the following commands:
tar cfvz 100.tar.gz 100/
tar cfvz 101.tar.gz 101/

I moved the two tar files in my new fresh Proxmox inside /var/lib/vz/template/cache/ and used the web interface to create two new containers. I put the same settings (memory, ip..) and on the Template tab I chose the tar files that I created earlier. The containers were creted successfully but the cant be started..

When I start them I get this:
Warning: configuration file for distribution 100.tar.gz not found, using defaults from /etc/vz/dists/default
Starting container ...
Container is mounted
Unable to open /var/lib/vz/root/100/sbin/init-logger: No such file or directory
Unable to copy init-logger
Not enough resources to start environment
Container start failed (try to check kernel messages, e.g. "dmesg | tail")
Container is unmounted
TASK ERROR: command 'vzctl start 100' failed: exit code 6

EDIT: I noticed that the directory structure is like this: ..../private/100/100/... is this ok?

Last edited:
The directory structure doesn't seems to be ok.
cd to ..../private/100/ and execute "mv 100/* . && rmdir 100".
The same commands with container 101.

Also the warning-message "Warning: configuration file for distribution 100.tar.gz not found, using defaults from /etc/vz/dists/default" seems to be bad.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!