Can't Access Proxmox 6.0-4 from outside of the Local Home Network

TheStingray

Oct 11, 2019
Good day to all,

I have recently discovered Proxmox 6.0-4 and downloaded it to my Dell PC turned Server now. I loved the capability of accessing my Proxmox VM from any computer that is apart of my home network. But, I would love to be able to access my Proxmox VM from any outside network computer like my work desktop computer. I have played around with my home router through port forwarding and was unsuccessful. I am thinking that I am doing something wrong with port forwarding and/or missing some other details overall. Can anyone give me some directions on solving this accessibility issue? Thank you so much in advance.

Ray...

hi,

you need to forward the port 8006 on your router to the local IP address of your proxmox node. afterwards you can connect using your public IP.

Good Morning...

@ Oguz...

I did the port forward with my Linksys SmartWifi Router for Port 8006. That was successful. When I tried to access my Proxmox VM using the assigned Proxmox IP address with the port 8006 from outside of the network, I have gotten error message of "this site can't be reached" and that it took too long to respond. Is there something else that I need to do or Is it my router? (*Scratching my head*)

Thanks again,
Ray...

When I tried to access my Proxmox VM using the assigned Proxmox IP address with the port 8006 from outside of the network

while connecting to your proxmox node from outside with a portforwarding setup, you need to use the public IP of your router.

observe the following example setup:

your public IP on your router is 1.2.3.4
your internal IP for your proxmox node is 192.168.1.100

on your router, you forward port 8006 to port 8006 of proxmox node (192.168.1.100)

when connecting from outside, you have to connect to 1.2.3.4:8006 (public ip of your router and the port of proxmox)
if the portforwarding rule was correct, it will let you access the proxmox node on 192.168.1.100:8006

edit: also don't forget to check the firewall settings on your router. it might be blocking the port and you might have to allow it

Thanks again, Oguz!!!

I am going to try at now...

I will let you know how everything goes!

Thanks...

Ray...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!