Cannot store VM's on LVM-thin

hans66

Oct 14, 2023
Hi,

I am in process of setting up a pve server. While waiting for all hardware, playing with pve 7.4 on VirtualBox to get some experience with how to configure.

I have done quiet some reading...my understanding is that a recommended WoW is to store the VM's on a LVM-thin volume.

I created a virtual disk in VirtualBox....and tried via pve GUI and via bash/pvcreate/vgcreate/lvcreate a LVM-thin volume.
That seems to work ok.
The LVM-thin volume does show up in pve under "Storage"; It is enabled for Disk Image and Container
So far so good.
When I try to "Create VM"....and go to the OS Tab, I get in Storage only the "local" as option, and not my LVM-thin volume (vm2).
I guess I am doing something wrong and/or misunderstood something....

Below output pvesm and storage.cfg

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Code:
pvesm status
Name             Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
local             dir     active         9140480         1946880         7193600   21.30%
local-zfs     zfspool     active         7193764              96         7193668    0.00%
vm2           lvmthin     active        20754432               0        20754432    0.00%

cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content backup,iso,vztmpl

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content images
        sparse 1

lvmthin: vm2
        thinpool lv-vm2
        vgname vg-vm2
        content images,rootdir

When I try to "Create VM"....and go to the OS Tab, I get in Storage only the "local" as option, and not my LVM-thin volume (vm2).
I guess I am doing something wrong and/or misunderstood something....
Maybe you get confused with seleting the storage for ISOs/templates and virtual disks? It will first ask you where your ISOs/templates are stored (and this needs a filesystem-based storage like "local" while "local-lvm" can't be used as this is a block-based storage).
Later in the process of creating a VM/LXC it will ask you where to store the virtual disks.

Last edited:
Maybe you get confused with seleting the storage for ISOs/templates and virtual disks? It will first ask you where your ISOs/templates are stored (and this needs a filesystem-based storage like "local" while "local-lvm" can't be used as this is a block-based storage).
Later in the process of creating a VM/LXC it will ask you where to store the virtual disks.

Bingo....I got confused...I misinterpreted the OS tab....it now works as expected. Thanks! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!