Cannot SSH to proxmox or access Web GUI with PFsense, but works with Unifi

TotesFab

Sep 13, 2024
Hi all,

I read through a bunch of similar threads but could not find a solution that worked. A few days ago I installed Proxmox on a pc I was using for Plex. I set the IP for server to be 192.168.110. Everything was successful only I could not SSH or access the gui on port 8006 (connection times out on both). I have ran plenty of other apps with web guis and never had this problem. I am pretty sure that this is an issue with my pfsense. Like a firewall rule or something that I don't see (I am entry level with PFsense).

I got frustrated after a while and plugged in my old USG (Unifi gateway, that is old and dying) and swapped out the pfsense. Immediately I was about to get to gui and ssh no problems. Then I spent the next few days adding containers and VMs and such. My USG kept turning off an on (Power problems, this is why I stopped using it), so I swapped the pfsense back in. I did do a factory reset tho and reinstalled it, though it may have saved some info because I still see old logs).

With the pfsense back in, I again cannot access proxmox (ssh and web). I can still access web guis of all the containers/vms that I installed on proxmox (Plex, Omada, Home Assistant, etc).

I am able to ping proxmox just fine. When I try to do "curl -ks https://192.168.1.110:8006", the response is blank (no error or output).

Also to make sure this wasn't a browser issue (cannot connect with any device, but I see this question asked a lot) I ran

Code:
powershell Test-NetConnection -ComputerName 192.168.1.110 -Port 8006                                   

WARNING: TCP connect to (192.168.1.110 : 8006) failed                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ComputerName           : 192.168.1.110                                                                               
 RemoteAddress          : 192.168.1.110
RemotePort             : 8006
InterfaceAlias         : Ethernet
SourceAddress          : 192.168.1.192
PingSucceeded          : True
PingReplyDetails (RTT) : 0 ms
TcpTestSucceeded       : False

When I have Proxmox tcpdump port 8006, I can my pc connecting to it, but every line just ends in "length 0".

I am pretty sure this is a firewall issue because this only happens when pfsense is plugged in. Does anyone have suggestions on where to look?

Hi all,

I read through a bunch of similar threads but could not find a solution that worked. A few days ago I installed Proxmox on a pc I was using for Plex. I set the IP for server to be 192.168.110. Everything was successful only I could not SSH or access the gui on port 8006 (connection times out on both). I have ran plenty of other apps with web guis and never had this problem. I am pretty sure that this is an issue with my pfsense. Like a firewall rule or something that I don't see (I am entry level with PFsense).

I got frustrated after a while and plugged in my old USG (Unifi gateway, that is old and dying) and swapped out the pfsense. Immediately I was about to get to gui and ssh no problems. Then I spent the next few days adding containers and VMs and such. My USG kept turning off an on (Power problems, this is why I stopped using it), so I swapped the pfsense back in. I did do a factory reset tho and reinstalled it, though it may have saved some info because I still see old logs).

With the pfsense back in, I again cannot access proxmox (ssh and web). I can still access web guis of all the containers/vms that I installed on proxmox (Plex, Omada, Home Assistant, etc).

I am able to ping proxmox just fine. When I try to do "curl -ks https://192.168.1.110:8006", the response is blank (no error or output).

Also to make sure this wasn't a browser issue (cannot connect with any device, but I see this question asked a lot) I ran

Code:
powershell Test-NetConnection -ComputerName 192.168.1.110 -Port 8006                                 

WARNING: TCP connect to (192.168.1.110 : 8006) failed                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ComputerName           : 192.168.1.110                                                                             
 RemoteAddress          : 192.168.1.110
RemotePort             : 8006
InterfaceAlias         : Ethernet
SourceAddress          : 192.168.1.192
PingSucceeded          : True
PingReplyDetails (RTT) : 0 ms
TcpTestSucceeded       : False

When I have Proxmox tcpdump port 8006, I can my pc connecting to it, but every line just ends in "length 0".

I am pretty sure this is a firewall issue because this only happens when pfsense is plugged in. Does anyone have suggestions on where to look?
Not sure how helpful I can be but ill try.

First question is do you have a range of ip addresses reserved for dhcp lease on pfsense? If so is the proxmox ip set in one of those ranges because if it is I dont believe pf sense will allow it since you are using a static ip in the dhcp lease range.

Another thing that I experienced as a problem with pfsense and proxmox was when I created a dhcp static mapping on pfsense for my proxmox host the gui didnt play nice for some reason. As long as you have the static ip of proxmox set outside of the dhcp lease range then you shouldbe good

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!