Cannot Resolve/Ping Domains

AndyRixon

Sep 7, 2023
Just installed Proxmox VE 8 on a Debian 12 installation.

I can access the server through ssh as well as the web interface, everythign seems to work fine. I can even setup a VM with no issues and can also access ssh on that too, both outside of the host network.

No matter if I'm on the host or vm ssh, I can not ping or resolve domains.... however I can ping IP's.

From what I can tell I have setup everything perfectly fine, but I think I have become blinded and keep hitting dead ends.

If anyone here can help me, that would be really appreciated.

(Not sure if it's relevant, I am using OneProvider for the host node, used them before with no issues until now on a new install)

This is the contents of my resolv.conf file, looks right to me?
Bash:
root@peach:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search .
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

This is the contents of my resolv.conf file, looks right to me?
Perhaps. Are those the correct DNS entries? Can you query them? "dig @208.67.222.222 proxmox.com"
Have you tried Google DNS? 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
What exactly is the error you are getting?

The underlying OS that PVE uses is Debian. The issue you described is unlikely to be PVE induced. Unless, you implemented PVE firewall and block DNS?
Use general Linux troubleshooting methods to narrow down your name resolution troubles.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!