Cannot migrate "directory based storage" LXC to another cluster node

eth

Feb 24, 2016
Hello!

I use node directories for storing my LXC container data. This allows me to use the full disk space of the node more effectively (instead of carving out a part of it that might not be used fully).

Here is the config of one of the LXC's:
Code:
arch: amd64
features: fuse=1,nesting=1
hostname: w10
memory: 7196
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,gw=10.0.0.1,hwaddr=1A:B4:61:97:FC:8B,ip=10.0.0.10/24,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: centos
rootfs: /var/lib/lxc/201
swap: 1024

Recently I've started playing with Proxmox clusters and noticed that I can't migrate these kind of LXCs between nodes. When I try to, I get this error:

2020-11-24 04:20:00 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:00): cannot migrate local bind mount point 'rootfs'
TASK ERROR: migration aborted

I understand that directory based storage is an edge case, but perhaps it's possible to add this feature to the roadmap?
Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
LXC does not support live migration, so PM does not either. (CRIU does not yet work.)
Use KVM VMs if you need live migration.

Is there a way how I can move the LXC to another cluster node through the GUI? I don't care about live migration - I can shut it down, I just need the files / configs transferred.

I think you should have a GUI option if you right click a LXC and there is also a command line one:
Code:
root@leona:~# pct migrate 
400 not enough arguments
pct migrate <vmid> <target> [OPTIONS]

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!