Cannot link nodes in Cluster

Kornelius777

Nov 6, 2022
Dear all,

yesterday, I tried several times to link two brand new nodes via Cluster.
However - the Cluster Node always became unresponsive, pveproxy failed and couldn't be restarted afterwards. Even reboots didn't help.
At least five times, I re-installed proxmox from scatch on both nodes.

What did I do?

On both nodes:
Installed proxmox
Added the No-Subscription Repo (disabled ceph and pro repos)
Did a dist-upgrade
rebooted
Exchanged ssh keys both ways
Created a Cluster on Node 1
Joined the Cluster with Node 2

...and from that very moment on, Node 1 couldn't be used any more. pveproxy just died. pvecm updatecerts -f wouldn't work, no luck whatever I tried.

Is there any step which I forgot?
Anything that is required to get the nodes to communicate?

Is anybody able to confirm that there might be a problem?

I'm curious and eager for help.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Hi,

Did you check the syslog during the joining cluster? You can use `journalctl -f` to see the syslog for any interesting error or warning!

Exchanged ssh keys both ways
Why you changed the SSH keys?

Does the Proxmox VE servers have the same version?

I didn't change the ssh keys. I EX-changed the keys, so that passwordless logins are possible. authorized_keys...

And... Yes, I checked the journal. However, nothing made it clear why the joining process would be interrupted (EACH time!) and why pveproxy suddenly died.
Maybe you guys could try to reconstruct/reproduce this behaviour? Just take two brandnew nodes and join them into a cluster?
Does it work on your side?

Kind regards,

Does it work on your side?
Sure - a few of the users here are using a cluster ;-)

A pitfall but just a random guess: make sure that /etc/hosts has the same identical content on all nodes before trying to do anything. "ping pve1" and "ping pve2" must work on both nodes successfully. Yes, four(!) "ping" test calls.

Use static addresses. No surprises via Dhcp please. Post /etc/network/interfaces from both nodes if in doubt.

You probably know the documentation? https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pvecm

Sure - a few of the users here are using a cluster ;-)
Well... THAT is beyond doubt.
This isn't my first proxmox setup, either...

Question is: Can somebody please confirm that it is possible to create a cluster with the LATEST upgrades?

Kind regards,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!