Cannot install: "ERROR no device with valid ISO found"

discostu

Oct 21, 2024
I'm trying to install Proxmox Mail Gateway from the ISO proxmox-mail-gateway_8.1-1.iso file into a VMWare VM on a VMWare ESXi 6.0 Server (hopefully soon replaced by Proxmox VE ...), but it gives the error message in the title during installation and then aborts.

When I use a Proxmox Mail Gateway ISO Version 7.3 there are no issues, the cdrom is found and installation starts.

Searched for the error message and found a thread here where this was happening on a physical computer with a physical usb stick and re-plugging seems to have helped for some people. Tried re-plugging the CD-ROM drive virtually in VMWare, did not help for me.

What can I do to get it installed?

When checking "dmesg" kernel output, I see a lot of messages like "cat: attempt to access beyond end of device".

D'Ohh. I'm sorry.

Somehow the ISO got mangled, it wasn't completely uploaded to the vmware storage, thus access beyond end of device.

Works fine with a non-broken ISO.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!