"cannot execute binayr file" while installing from USB device

juanmaria

Apr 26, 2012
"cannot execute binary file" while installing from USB device

Hi,

I've tried the procedure described at: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_from_USB_Stick a couple of times with no success.

The system boots but after the first booting, when the installation starts, it aborts with a message of "cannot execute binary file". It happens when the installation script calls a command -I don't remember it right now- from /usr/bin. I've tried the comand manually and got the same error, I've also tried a few more commands from /usr/bin with the same result.

I thought it was because my CPU was not 64 bit capable (but it is, it's a core I3), but I tried burning a CD with the very ISO I used with my pendrive and it worked like a charm.

I puzzles me not having found any reference to this problem on the net, I really don't like burning CDs nor booting them so I'm going to investigate a little more and I would be grateful if someone gave me a clue to make it work.

Greetings from Spain.
Juan María.

Last edited:
Re: "cannot execute binary file" while installing from USB device

Problem solved!

I've tried with a pendrive of a different brand and it has installed.

I wonder what can make a determinate model of pendrive readable and writeable but not executable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!