Cannot connect to Proxmox after changing ports on switch

Aethelflaed

Aug 4, 2024
Hello,
I'm new to Proxmox and have set it up on a Dell 7810. I've gone through the installation and configuration without a problem and can reach the server through the web GIU. When I move the server from my office to it's permanent home in the basement, it get plugged into a different port on the same switch. Same network nothing change except the physical move and port. From that time forward I can't reach the server at all. The network lights on the Dell show orange orange. Even if I move it back to the office and plug it into the same port still no connection. This has occurred in 2 re installations, I'm sure it's something simple but I'm just not seeing the problem. I've done a big of searching and haven't found anything that seems to be similar to my problem.

I welcome any suggestions.

Did you configure a static IP address for Proxmox outside of the DHCP range of the router? Proxmox never refreshes the DHCP (that it might have gotten from the installer) since it assumes a static IP address. Maybe it expires on the router and/or the router does not accept the same address from multiple port?

Alternatively: If you plug in a PC/laptop in that network-cable in the basement that the proxmox-server is connected to, do you:
- Get an IP-adress
- Get internet-access
- Have a 1 gbps network-connection on the cable (orange lights usually mean less then 1000mbps/1gbps, and it can then be 100 or 10 and full or half duplex, although all of them SHOULD still allow (slow but possible) network.

I configured the router as you suggested Leesteken and with an assigned address the problem repeated. As you suggested sw-omit I Connected a laptop to the same cable I am using for the Proxmox box downstairs and it works perfectly. I'm back to no connection. this is even weirder as I have a couple of drops in my office so I powered off the machine, switched drops and powered on. It connected perfectly. As crazy as it sounds I'm starting to think it's a physical problem with the box that happens when I move it downstairs.

So I dug around in my parts bin and found a USB3 to 1GB Ethernet and reinstalled using that as the network port. It works perfectly in the basement now. This is a problem in the hardware or the configuration of the onboard NIC. I'm going to have to keep digging into it. I'll probably order a pci-e network adapter for a permanent solution.

Thanks for the suggestions and help, if anyone has an idea how to get the onboard NIC going I'll be happy to try a solution.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!