Cannot connect to Container from any computer but my desktop and my server

axsim

Jun 19, 2021
I have proxmox setup on a Dell Poweredge R520 with an IP address of 192.168.0.11. I created a container from the TurnKey fileserver container. Currently I have the IP address of the container set to DHCP and it obtained the IP address of 192.168.0.68. My Windows 10 Desktop computer has a router reserved ip address of 192.168.0.40. My Windows 10 laptop has a dhcp assigned IP address of 192.168.0.58.
If I connect to the container from my desktop via the webmin address https://192.168.0.68:12321 it connects. But if I try with my laptop, it fails. Same with ssh. If I try connecting to the container from my desktop via ssh, it connects. If I try with my laptop it fails. On my laptop if I connect to my linux server via ssh with an IP address of 192.18.0.7, then ssh from the linux server to the container, it connects. I've tried setting the container to a static IP address, no luck. I've tried connect to the container from other computers and cannot connect. I've even turned the firewall off on the container. The only difference that I see is all the computer with DHCP cannot connect.

It's either a firewall or a config issue. Obtaining an address via DHCP doesn't render a machine unable to connect to another, unless your DHCP hands out information which leads to a wrong route (unlikely inside a subnet).

It's either a firewall or a config issue. Obtaining an address via DHCP doesn't render a machine unable to connect to another, unless your DHCP hands out information which leads to a wrong route (unlikely inside a subnet).
My DHCP is fine. All the VMs I have running on proxmox are accessible to all the computers on my network. It's just the container that has the problem.
Yes I figured it was a config or firewall issue. The questions are what config issue? What firewall issue? I've turned it off on the container.

Then it can only be the laptop being unable to connect to certain addresses or ports or the CT being configured to accept only certain addresses and/or a caching problem on any of those two.

Start by running a traceroute from both a working system and a non-working system.

compare.

EDIT to add, verify which IPs are allowed inside of webmin access control.

Last edited:
Start by running a traceroute from both a working system and a non-working system.

compare.

I've done that. On the working system then only entry is 192.168.0.68. No other hops. The none working system comes back empty handed.

compare.

I cannot connect to Webmin, WebDAV, Web shell, SMB and ssh.

Windows firewall maybe?
Ok. It’s not a Windows firewall issue. What I’ve discover is when I connect my laptop to a dock with a wired connection, I can access the container. When I pull it off the dock and it goes wireless, it cannot. That holds true with two different laptops and my iPhone. Thus it has something to do with wireless. But I’m not sure what. Because the same router that gives out IP addressed gives it to wired and wireless devices.

Then the router probably prevents communication between (wireless) clients. There should be a check box or something to enable this.

Then the router probably prevents communication between (wireless) clients. There should be a check box or something to enable this.
I found the problem. It was with the router. I had MAC address filtering turned on. Typically all I did when adding a new device to my network, I would go into the mobile app, find the device and allow it to connect. For some reason, my router would not add the device. I only found it when I was trying to add a new laptop to my network and it wouldn't connect. I would switch it on, and still nothing. I would go back to the mobile app and it was turned off again. No matter what I did, it would not stay on to allow it to connect. During that time I noticed the VM was doing the same thing. I rebooted the router to no avail. So in the interim, I turned off MAC address filtering. The laptop was able to connect to my network and I was able to get to my VM from my other laptop. Weird.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!