cannot connect to local network

mezknight

Aug 5, 2024
I must have messed up the network config in the installation wizard and need help configuring the network parameters.

I know I need to run ifreload -a to update the congifs to live, but as a noob I'm totally lost.

Here are my related files:
cat /etc/hosts
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost. localdomain localhost
192.168.32.50 pue. local pue

# The following lines are desirable for IPu6 capable hosts

::1
ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0
ip6-localnet
ff00::0
ff02::1
ipo-mcastprefix
ip6-allnodes
ffoZ: :2 ip6-allrouters
ff02: :3 ipf-allhosts

cat /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface enp3s0 inet manual
auto umbr®
iface umbro
inet static
address 192.168.32.50
gateway 192.168.32.1
bridge-ports enp3s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd o
iface enps0 inet manual iface ulptso inet manual
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

cat /etc/resolv.conf
Code:
search local
naneserver 192.168.1.1
nameseruer 1.1.1.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8

And here is the ip a and ip r outputs with ping results to 8.8.8.8 as Destination Host Unreachable:
ip a
Code:
1: 10: «LOOPBACK,UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 gdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default glen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_Ift forever preferred Ift forever inet6 ::1/128 scope host nopref ixroute valid_Ift forever preferred_Ift forever
2: enp2s®: ‹BROADCAST, MULTICAST> mtu 1500 gdisc noop state DOWN group default glen 1000 link/ether 58:47:ca: 77:19:95 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: emp3s0: <NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master umbro state DOWN group default glen 1000 link/ether 58:47:ca:77:19:94 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: wiptso: «BROADCAST, MULTICAST> mtu 1500
qdisc noop state DOWN group default glen 1000
link/ether c8:15:4e:bc: 25:82 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: umbro: ‹NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP> mtu 1500 gdisc noqueue state DOWN group default glen 1000 link/ether 58:47:ca:77:19:94 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff inet 192.168.32.50/32 scope global umbro valid Ift forever preferred Ift forever inet6 fe80::5a47:caff:fe77:1994/64 scope link valid Ift forever preferred_Ift forever

ip r
Code:
default via 192.168.32.1 dev umbr® proto kernel onlink linkdown

etc files.jpeg
ip cmds.jpeg

Many thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.

I tried enp2s0 ( does this mean I need to physically connect my machine? If yes, does this need to be permanently connected or is this just to get the machine "listed" in the routers DHCP server. ) but it didn't work.
2nd try.jpg

Initially the ethtool enp2s0showed
Speed: Unknown!
Duplex: Unknown! (255)
so I ran ethtool --change enp2s0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
according to these two posts : eth0 NO-CARRIER, ifconfig shows no IP address & Network connection not linking permanently

I also ran dhclient enp2s0 : no result

I tried enp2s0 ( does this mean I need to physically connect my machine? If yes, does this need to be permanently connected or is this just to get the machine "listed" in the routers DHCP server. ) but it didn't work.
Obviously, yes, you need to physically connect it. An "enp*" interface is a wired lan, not wifi. The "wlp4s0" interface is your wifi. You might want to reboot too, just to clear out all the stuff you did with ethtool. You almost never need ethtool.

I also ran dhclient enp2s0 : no result
If it isn't connected to anything, yeah, it won't work.

As I said, the wlp4s0 interface is your wifi. But you don't want to use that as your main interface. You really, really don't. For one thing, the tools to configure wifi aren't installed by default. For another it won't work with the vmbr0 bridge and that is how your virtual machines would normally connect to the network. If you really want to use wifi despite it being a terrible idea, see my post here:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/i...here-proxmox-is-installed.152201/#post-690329

Understood, I have connected machine to router via lan.

ping still doesn't work with the following "ip a" output:
Note enp3s0 is no longer "NO CARRIER" (however upon rebooting the machine the status changes for "NO CARRIER" turns on and off, and now without rebooting it switches between appearing and not appearing; I guess I need to try different ports on the machine and router and get a new lan cable.

Any idea why the status of "NO CARRIER" is unstable? Is it safe to assume it's the physical connection problem?

ip a 2.jpeg

Last edited:
In your file /etc/network/interfaces
change line, it is error configuration
address 192.168.32.50
address 192.168.32.50/24

your router has LAN 192.168.32.1 ?

Thank you all I am able to have access to web gui after reinstalling with attached physical lan cable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!