Cannot bind Mellanox Card to VM

milkytwix

May 17, 2021
So, I just reinstalled my Mellanox ConnectX-3 40g Card into my good old proxmox server. I had this card in it for some time, but driver issues after updates were to cumbersome, so I went back to my more reliable (albeit way slower) 10g Intel Card. But now I need some "oomph" on a VM and reinstalled the card. Added it via PCI-pasthrough, started the VM and got the following error:
TASK ERROR: Cannot bind 0000:61:00.0 to vfio
When I look at the card itself it is recognized by the host:
Code:
lspci
60:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
61:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3]
61:00.1 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500/MT27520 Family [ConnectX-3/ConnectX-3 Pro Virtual Function]
61:00.2 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500/MT27520 Family [ConnectX-3/ConnectX-3 Pro Virtual Function]
62:00.0 USB controller: Fresco Logic FL1100 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 10)
What is the issue here, how to proceed? When I do a search with this error all I find a GPU issues, so I am bit lost

mst status
Code:
mst status
MST modules:
------------
    MST PCI module loaded
    MST PCI configuration module loaded

MST devices:
------------
/dev/mst/mt4099_pciconf0         - PCI configuration cycles access.
                                   domain:bus:dev.fn=0000:61:00.0 addr.reg=88 data.reg=92 cr_bar.gw_offset=-1
                                   Chip revision is: 01
/dev/mst/mt4099_pci_cr0          - PCI direct access.
                                   domain:bus:dev.fn=0000:61:00.0 bar=0xe8200000 size=0x100000
                                   Chip revision is: 01

mst query does not work?

Code:
mlxconfig -d /dev/mst/mt4099_pciconf0 query
-E- Failed to open device: /dev/mst/mt4099_pciconf0. Cannot perform operation, Driver might be down.

but driver should be loaded:
Code:
mst start
Starting MST (Mellanox Software Tools) driver set
[warn] mst_pci is already loaded, skipping
[warn] mst_pciconf is already loaded, skipping
Create devices

Whats wrong here?
:(

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!