Can`t backup LXC to NFS mounted storage

gralves

Aug 24, 2024
Hi,

I am new to proxmox and just finished intalling it and setting up some virtual machines and containers. Currently I have a VM running Truenas controlling directly the SATA card (PCI passthrought).

I sucessfully created a NFS storage for Proxmox for storing CT templates and ISO images - using the GUI I mapped it to an NFS share inside Truenas, and everything seems to be working fine.

I started having issues when I tried to create a backup NFS storage for the VMs and CTs. I did the same procedure I used for the templates and ISO image share creation. I managed to create and store backups of the VMs but when I try to create a backup of a container I get several instances of the following error:

Code:
2024-08-24 16:31:28 ERROR: rsync: [receiver] failed to set times on "/mnt/pve/truenas-backup/dump/vzdump-lxc-300-2024_08_24-16_30_31.tmp/var/log/.messages.yPILXz": Operation not permitted (1)
2024-08-24 16:31:28 ERROR: rsync: [receiver] failed to set times on "/mnt/pve/truenas-backup/dump/vzdump-lxc-300-2024_08_24-16_30_31.tmp/var/log/.wtmp.lVNxVZ": Operation not permitted (1)
2024-08-24 16:31:28 ERROR: rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1338) [sender=3.2.7]
2024-08-24 16:31:40 ERROR: Backup of VM 300 failed - command 'rsync --stats -h --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --sparse --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/584255/root//./ /mnt/pve/truenas-backup/dump/vzdump-lxc-300-2024_08_24-16_30_31.tmp' failed: exit code 23

I understand that this is problably an issue with permissions but I couldn`t figure out what it is nor how to solve it. I can create, modify and delete files on the directory (/mnt/pve/truenas-backup) as root on the pve host but every time I try to backup a container I get similar errors. How can I fix this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!