Can I remove local and local-lvm?

janvv

Jun 21, 2020
52.24154182722349, 5.117853866801705
1676565175855.png

I use the storages nvme and ssd for all my VMs and LXCs. I do not use local and local-lvm. Can I safely remove them?
Or otherwise just unselect all contect types, so that I cannot use it for anything?

1676565524495.png

Last edited:
The storage local is just a directory and does not take up any space if not used.

The storage local-lvm is thin provisioned LVM.

Both can be removed. After removing local-lvm from Proxmox's storage configuration you still need to remove the LV to free up space in the VG.

For others coming here for the same question:

local-lvm

- Remove local-lvm from the storage configuration of the Datacenter
- Execute the following commands on the node's console:
Code:
lvremove /dev/pve/data
lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/pve/root
resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-root

local

Cannot be removed from the storage configuration. If you try it, it will not disappear.
Instead, disable it, so that it will no longer be available in the dropdown lists when creating a VM or LXC.

1676621332412.png

For others coming here for the same question:

local-lvm

- Remove local-lvm from the storage configuration of the Datacenter
- Execute the following commands on the node's console:
Code:
lvremove /dev/pve/data
lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/pve/root
resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-root

local

Cannot be removed from the storage configuration. If you try it, it will not disappear.
Instead, disable it, so that it will no longer be available in the dropdown lists when creating a VM or LXC.

View attachment 46934
Well i have a question for this, before i got to this post i already did that of unticking the enable thing on local, but even tho it says its just a directory, i dont think thats right, cause i have a 500gb nvme, my lvm is only 400g space and local had 100g asigned to it which fter disable it, it doesnt get added to the lvm space, how can i add this space to the lvm disk?

1707735572163.png
My guess is that data is the lvm, root is that unalocated space, or, that root is the OS and data is the space proxmox asign for VMs? im new to proxmox so im still learning its functions, but if this root space is unalocated, how can i add it to lvm?

This is not a Proxmox specific issue. You have make yourself familiar with LVM.
I would recommend to investigate your disk layout by lsblk and gparted, and then find information on how to extend your data volume.

My guess is that data is the lvm, root is that unalocated space, or, that root is the OS and data is the space proxmox asign for VMs? im new to proxmox so im still learning its functions, but if this root space is unalocated, how can i add it to lvm?
After a normal installation: local is a directory (/var/lib/vz as you can see at Datacenter > Storage) on the Proxmox installation (root filesystem, which is not unallocated but contains the OS). Proxmox is on a LV on the local-lvm (a VG in LVM terms). The rest of the local-lvm can be used for virtual disks. Resizing LVs is possible but you better shrink the filesystem on it first. Booting GParted Live might help you.

After a normal installation: local is a directory (/var/lib/vz as you can see at Datacenter > Storage) on the Proxmox installation (root filesystem, which is not unallocated but contains the OS). Proxmox is on a LV on the local-lvm (a VG in LVM terms). The rest of the local-lvm can be used for virtual disks. Resizing LVs is possible but you better shrink the filesystem on it first. Booting GParted Live might help you.
Oh ok ok tyvm, that was my doubt if the root was the system, cause i did saw that data was a directory but i wasnt sure about the root partition, i will tho follow @janvv advice and investigate about LVM, i wanna learn every aspect of this thing and i havent had to mess with that before hehe

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!