Can Backup Fleecing Reduce PBS CPU Usage?

sdet00

Nov 18, 2017
Greetings! I currently have a Proxmox environment backing up to a Proxmox Backup Server that appears to be CPU limited. The specs of this system are as follows:

Intel Celeron J3060 Dual Core @ 2.48Ghz
8GB RAM
128GB SSD Boot Drive
3x 4TB HDDs in ZFS RAIDz1

During backups it is not uncommon for CPU usage to sit at 100% for hours on end, and I only get around 40MB/s throughput. Whilst it works just fine, I accepted that performance wasn't great and figured it is not a big issue for my environment at the time. That said backups are starting to get larger, and it's getting to the point where processing times could be a problem.

I have a couple of nodes in my Proxmox cluster that have much more powerful CPUs, but I don't have much SSD storage available - only about 200GB free, with around 1.5TB of used storage. Before I go out and purchase another SSD, does anyone know if the new backup fleecing option could help reduce CPU usage on my Proxmox Backup Server and allow for higher throughput? I did some quick searches and couldn't find anything conclusive. The server will easily move data at 110MB/s when it's not doing checksumming and compression on the fly. If not - I might have to make the effort to move things to a more powerful backup server, or I might just turn it back into an SMB server which is what I had it setup previously for backups. Advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,

you can try and see with proxmox-backup-client benchmark --repository <your-repository> where possible bottle necks are.

does anyone know if the new backup fleecing option could help reduce CPU usage on my Proxmox Backup Server and allow for higher throughput?
Fleecing is acting on the client side. So if your Proxmox Backup Server is the bottleneck, than fleecing will not help with throughput, it will however help with the VM IO not being blocked on the PVE side by the slow transfers to the PBS.

Intel Celeron J3060 Dual Core @ 2.48Ghz
Probably not the fastest CPU, but I would suggest to first check the performance of you datastore backing storage. Also, how high is the IO delay during the backups on the Proxmox Backup Sever side?

3x 4TB HDDs in ZFS RAIDz1
Running a RAIDZ1, especially on spinning disks also will drastically impact performance. For Proxmox Backup Server, a fast local storage is recommended for most of the use-cases, adding a special device mirror can help to speed up operations, see [0].

Did you already try to see what random read/write performance you will get from the storage itself? You can use tools such as fio to benchmark your storage.

[0] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/sysadmin.html#local-zfs-special-device

Reactions: UdoB
Yeah, it's not fast. I don't think my storage is a bottleneck. IO Delay is peaking at 0.8% during backups which barely registers. My CPU usage on the other hand...

1723549295826.png

1723549186460.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!