Can a PVE container access ZFS subvol of another container?

Psilospiral

Jun 25, 2019
Can a PVE container access ZFS subvol of another container?

I am trying to setup TKL Syncthing on a r720xd server running Proxmox VE 5.4-11. I have the Syncthing CT installed and running. On the same PVE I also have a TKL File Server CT running.

On the r720xd, I have a ZFS pool created, which is currently only used for TKL File Server as a NAS. All shares in TKL File Server are working great - r/w accessible by clients on the LAN.

The ZFS pool is mounted to the PVE host as /r720xd1

/r720xd1 has two subdirectories for the only two containers running under PVE:

/r720xd1/subvol-104-disk-0 # For TKL Syncthing

/r720xd1/subvol-108-disk-0 # For TKL File Server

subvol-108 was created when I added a mountpoint of /srv/storage for the TKL File Server. This was done to utilize the ZFS file system as the storage for TKL File Server shares.

subvol-104 was created when I added a mountpoint /r720xd1/subvol-108-disk-0/syncthing . This was done in an attempt to directly access and utilize the /syncthing share in my TKL File Server directory.

I logged in to the Syncthing webGUI from a client on the LAN and changed Actions>Settings>Default Folder Path to: /r720xd1/subvol-108-disk-0/syncthing

When I try to create a new 'test' Folder to share via Synthing from the webGUI I receive:

Failed to create folder root directory mkdir /r720xd1/subvol-108-disk-0/syncthing/test: permission denied.

So I have to assume the default user 'syncthing' (or the entire 104 container) does not have permission to write to the /r720xd1/subvol-108-disk-0 - presumably because this is the subvol for a different container.

How can I grant user syncthing in this container (or container 104) r/w access to a subvol in container 108? OR: What would be the best-case practice to utilize the storage hosted by TKL File Server on subvol-108 for Syncthing running in container 104?

This seems way to complex for file sharing. Why not just use a second mountpoint (mp) and configure the container to be file server and sync station? Way easier, than trying to handle multi client locks for open files.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!