Building Proxmox HCI Proof of Concept - Dell R240

n01k

Nov 13, 2019
Ontario Canada
tweakmyskills.it
Hey everyone, I am looking to build a small 3-node cluster to test at work for small scale deployments. A Proof of Concept (PoC) pretty much.

I plan on testing a hyper-converged configuration, no shared iSCSI storage for now.

I have three Dell R240 servers to use. These are servers I have unused and in my stock, so I'm re-purposing them for Proxmox.

Server specs:
  • single Xeon E-2236 3.4GHz with 64GB of memory.
  • Dell Boss-S1 card with 2x 256GB SSDs in RAID-1 for Proxmox OS installation
  • 4x Dell enterprise 960GB SSDs (Storage) (NO Dell RAID used for storage SSDs)
  • 2x 1GB NICS (Onboard)
I will plan to add higher bandwidth NICS to these servers. I can do 10GB easily or we can look at 40GB NICs.

I am not sure if I should connect the 10/25/40GB NICs of each host to the other hosts or if I should utilize a 10/25/40GB switch and have all hosts connect back there. I think that if I were testing CEPH, it is best to use switches but if I do ZFS, would I be fine to interconnect the servers together without a switch?

I was thinking of configuring the 4 SSDs in each server for ZFS but I'm not sure what ZFS configuration I would want. I think from what I've read that ZFS would be more ideal with my setup than CEPH (due to the amount of disks).

As this is a Proof of Concept and will only see light business duty for IT staff, there is no real risk here. If/when we decide to move to Proxmox, the hardware will be current and properly built with a 3rd party vendor.

For those of you that are also testing Proxmox in production environments, any suggestions for my setup? Is ZFS a good file system to use for our storage?

Any suggestions on what I can look at doing to this potential build? We have all of the hardware so we would like to use what we have, as this is a Proof of Concept.

I am coming from a heavy Dell-VMware environment with shared iSCSI storage.

I will gladly document my build here and progress if it helps others.

Last edited:
A 3-node Proxmox Ceph PoC does work. Don't recommend it in production in which you want a minimum of 5-nodes, so can lose 2 nodes and still be in business.

I do have BOSS-S1 setup in ZFS RAID-1 to boot Proxmox. I use a Dell HBA300 for "true" IT-mode functionality.

While 64GB will work for a PoC, obviously the more RAM the better. The production clusters I manage have 512GB RAM per node.

Ceph can work at 1GbE but faster is better. For a 3-node PoC with a 4-port NIC, you can do a full-mesh broadcast network per https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Full_Mesh_Network_for_Ceph_Server and skip the switch. Otherwise get a dedicated switch. I use 2 dedicated switches MLAG'd together for Ceph public, private, and Corosync network traffic. Not recommended but works in production.

Been working with Proxmox since version 6 when VMware/Dell dropped official support for 12th-gen Dells. Just migrated three Dell 13th-gen 5-node VMware clusters to Proxmox Ceph earlier this year running the latest version of Proxmox.

As a bonus, don't need a 'vCenter' management instance to manage the cluster. Each Proxmox node in a cluster can manage each other. Win-Win.

Not hurting for IOPS. Workloads range from DBs to DHCP servers. All backed up to bare-metal Proxmox Backup Servers using ZFS using Dell HBA330.

I use the following optimizations learned through trial-and-error. YMMV.

Code:
    Set SAS HDD Write Cache Enable (WCE) (sdparm -s WCE=1 -S /dev/sd[x])
    Set VM Disk Cache to None if clustered, Writeback if standalone
    Set VM Disk controller to VirtIO-Single SCSI controller and enable IO Thread & Discard option
    Set VM CPU Type to 'Host'
    Set VM CPU NUMA on servers with 2 or more physical CPU sockets
    Set VM Networking VirtIO Multiqueue to 1
    Set VM Qemu-Guest-Agent software installed
    Set VM IO Scheduler to none/noop on Linux
    Set Ceph RBD pool to use 'krbd' option

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!