Broken update from 8.2.2 to 8.2.4!?

lasseo

Oct 19, 2023
Hi all,

Just did a upgrade from Proxmox 8.2.2 to Proxmox 8.2.4.
First notice what that I did no longer have any network connectivity and my vmbr0 was missing.

Some googling showed me some issues regarding network renaming in kernel 6.8.
However this is probably not my issue. ( I could get internet temporarly by manually starting dhcp client on my network card )

While searching for answers regarding why there is not network I did find.

1) "less" command was broken. Printed out "ELF not found".
2) doing systemctl status networking => ELF not found.

doing a reinstall (apt-get reinstall less) got less command to work again.

Now I can find that systemctl status networking gives:

root@pve1:~# systemctl status networking
○ networking.service - Network initializati
Loaded: bad-setting (Reason: Unit networking.service has a bad unit file setting.)
Active: inactive (dead)

The file ./usr/lib/systemd/system/networking.service is corrupt:

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Network initializati

Any suggestion on how to restore to a working system?
I would assume that there potentially will be a lot more errors.

/ Lars

Thanks for your thoughts.

I guess you have a good point here.
The machine is a Dell T130, with a dell raid card running 2 SSDs in raid mode. (original firmware)
Code:
03:00.0 RAID bus controller: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS-3 3008 [Fury] (rev 02)
Maybe I should try to reflash it to IT mode instead.

Or could it be some error in some tool that cause the update scripts to fail completly.
I tested to reinstall "ifupdown2" which gave me new and correct networking.service file. And networking is back.

/ Lars

Could it have run out of space during the upgrade? It will download a whole bunch of files and then install them, so the final space used could be less than what was needed during the upgrade.

The tools are very well-tested and in 20 years of using Debian I have never had an upgrade leave partial files like that. Something else happened.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!