bpfilter read fail 0

barzag

Nov 28, 2022
Hello community

I solicit your help because I have recently this message:

bpfilter read fail 0

which is repeated every second in my log
afaik this is happening with some iptables-nft versions.
the firewall doesn't really matter because I'm running a pfsense on proxmox. is it possible to deactivate it? I have already tried this command line :

echo "blacklist bpfilter" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf

but it does not work

Any ideas ?

It is possible to disable the bpfilter by modifying the /etc/sysctl.conf file and adding the following line:
Code:
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 0
This will disable the bpfilter and prevent it from being loaded. You can then run the command "sysctl -p" to apply the changes.
Alternatively, you can try updating your iptables-nft version to a more recent one that may not have this issue.

I tried
Code:
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 0
But it does not work. I still have the messages in kern.log

So, it looks like these messages are generated by pve-firewall querying an older iptables interface, which now generates these messages on newer kernels. It's annoying.

If you aren't using pve-firewall, you can stop/disable/mask it via systemctl. I'm not sure about downstream effect of it, maybe somebody from Proxmox staff can advise.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!