Booting Proxmox turns the machine off.

hobsoni

Jul 22, 2022
I was running PVE8.1- and just updated the PVE repositories to get all recent updates. There were a lot.
After applying them, I rebooted, and the machine booted, spat out a few lines and the turn its self off.
That mean 6.8.8-1 did not work, so how about the previous version.
Nope - 6.5.12-5 also shuts the host off, during the boot process.
So I stepped back to 6.5.11-4, and that did run, but spat out an error that I think was error A0.0
Not wanting to run the very old version, I downloaded and installed 8.2.1 - the install goes fine, but the reboot does the same thing.
So I downloaded and installed 7.4-1 - and that does the same thing.
So I booted into Gparted, and the hardware performed flawlessly.
I very recently ran a stress test and could not get the CPU over 78C, so I doubt it is overheating.
Memtest is currently running - temp has grown to 74C - pass with no errors.

Machine is a 2 month old version of this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.4.6dd41802z7j7H1 with 32GB ram and 2TB of Disk. The CPU is AMD Ryzen™ 3 5300U.

I don't know how to proceed, to find the error. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Looks like a firmware (efi) error imo, maybe wrong firmware (intel) installed during update my guess...

Last edited:
I could not find out how to list or remove EDI updates, so I installed Ubuntu 24.04.
It works just fine, suggesting that there is no hardware problem.
So its a software incompatibility between Proxmox 8.2 and 7.5.4 that did not apply to Proxmox 8.1,

Last edited:
Just to update this. I searched for and found the .iso for Proxmox 8.1-2, and installed that.
It works just fine, so I am in the process of restoring all my VMs and Containers.

Not sure yet what I shall do about updates. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!