Booting issue Dell R730XD-Clover-PVE8

dasca.thea

Mar 25, 2024
Hi everyone, I currently run into a strange General Exception error when I try to boot into PVE.

Currently I am running PV8 on Dell R730XD:
-CPU: 2683*2
-256GB RAM
-HBA330 (16HDD for Truenas VM)
-Boot drive: Clover on a USB flash
-PVE lives on Samsung NVME 980 Pro 1TB

I have configured PVE for PCI passthrough. a Total of 6 NVME drives and an Nvidia 1080 Ti.

The problem is, everytime I reboot the server I run into an error right after Clover boot selector. The weird thing is, I dont know why this works( I found this fix randomly), if I go to into Bios Device setting and switch between HBA330 bios mode from Legacy to UEFI and reboot, it will all work again. This is weird because, say now HBA is in legacy mode, and PVE boots, next time I reboot, I will have to switch this back to UEFI.

I think this is very abnormal and would my set up to work more seamlessly rather having to do this switch everytime I reboot.

Attachments

• photo_2024-03-25_11-14-47.jpg
    photo_2024-03-25_11-14-47.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 13
Hi everyone, I currently run into a strange General Exception error when I try to boot into PVE.

-256GB RAM

I have configured PVE for PCI passthrough. a Total of 6 NVME drives and an Nvidia 1080 Ti.

The problem is, everytime I reboot the server I run into an error right after Clover boot selector. The weird thing is, I dont know why this works( I found this fix randomly), if I go to into Bios Device setting and switch between HBA330 bios mode from Legacy to UEFI and reboot, it will all work again. This is weird because, say now HBA is in legacy mode, and PVE boots, next time I reboot, I will have to switch this back to UEFI.

I think this is very abnormal and would my set up to work more seamlessly rather having to do this switch everytime I reboot.
Hey can you elaborate on the solution? I have r730xd w esxi on pcie adapter working fine. I think this is less about pve issue but dell issue. suddenly one day my server restarted and i am at the clover menu, and since then almost every time trying to use clover to boot into my esxi nvme will result "bios halt" in idrac log; where before it just works everytime. nothing changed and don't know the root cause. booting will result in black screen with idrac log "bios halted", if going to efi shell 64 will also result with the screen shot attached. but ocationally going to the efi shell would work, exiting the efi shell and go back booting will also work1715997087082.png

Last edited:

-256GB RAM

I don't have exactly the setup as you, but I have had a similar issue before with the BIOS boot order and the empty disks being checked first. If the USB is booted first, should not be having any issue

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!