Boot from USB

bartje885

Nov 21, 2020
Guys,

I am relatively new to Proxmox. I have a DL380 G8 server. Proxmox boots from USB device and have some VM's. So far so good. But I really want to move the Proxmox installation to an USB harddrive rather than a USB thumbdrive. Problem is that my server won't boot from an external USB harddisk, only from an USB thumbdrive.

Is there a way to boot the linux kernel/GRUB from the thumbdrive, and running the OS from the external USB HDD? If it's possible, please guide me how to make it happen, I have some basic Linux skills.

Thanks!

Guys,

I am relatively new to Proxmox. I have a DL380 G8 server. Proxmox boots from USB device and have some VM's. So far so good. But I really want to move the Proxmox installation to an USB harddrive rather than a USB thumbdrive. Problem is that my server won't boot from an external USB harddisk, only from an USB thumbdrive.

Is there a way to boot the linux kernel/GRUB from the thumbdrive, and running the OS from the external USB HDD? If it's possible, please guide me how to make it happen, I have some basic Linux skills.

Thanks!
If GRUB/BIOS is able to read the USB hard-drive it will be possible by configuring grub manually, i.e. install grub at you thumbdrive but using data from diskdrive,e.g.

Code:
grub-install --boot-directory=<path-do-grub-data-at-disk> /dev/<thumbdrive>

Then you have to configure <path-do-grub-data-at-disk>/grub.cfg . You may use for this the command
Code:
grub-update -o  <path-do-grub-data-at-disk>/grub.cfg

after you have prepared /etc/default/grub

As mentioned, verify that GRUB is able to read the hard drive. For more about GRUB study https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html

In general: before changing anything it's recommended to become familiar with grub console, otherwise you may not be able to boot your system any more in case of configuration mistakes. To "exercise" this is simple: hit "c" when the grub-menu occurs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!