boot failure initramfs cannot import rpool one or more devices is read only

good4y0u

Jan 10, 2019
As the title says my proxmox install is not booting the OS. I get the error " cannot import rpool one or more devices is read only"
The exact error is here:
error-proxmox.PNG
zpools available
zpoolstatus.PNG
I tried the advice here https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS:_Tips_and_Tricks#Troubleshooting_and_known_issues
However it is still read only and will not mount.

Code:
Boot fails and goes into busybox
If booting fails with something like

No pool imported. Manually import the root pool
at the command prompt and then exit.
Hint: try: zpool import -R /rpool -N rpool

What is the way to fix this?
I appreciate any help

Last edited:
*update*
I am fa
Hi,

What is the output of this command
Thanks for replying. The output is "cannot import rpool one or more devices is read only"

I believe the pool was corrupt.

I never found a solution to Mount outside of read only mode or recover because at the time it was a single disk ( on a flash drive) zpool. This I believe is what came back to bite me .

My solution -- but not really -- was to replace the flash drive with a new ssd and restore the config from my backups.

I still have the flashdrive with the broken install on it .

Last edited:
Flashdrives are known to fail very fast with the logging Proxmox VE use.
I would never use them. Instead, use HDD or SSD

Flashdrives are known to fail very fast with the logging Proxmox VE use.
I would never use them. Instead, use HDD or SSD
It was one of those things that never meant to be a permanent solution...good thing it was my lab and not a prod environment.

Thank you again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!