Blocksize / Recordsize / Thin provision options

ieronymous

Apr 1, 2019
Hi

Every time I configure a new Proxmox node for production environment it takes 1-2 years and each time I stuck on that volblock size value.
As of 2024 noticed it is set as 16k default. My questions are as follows:

- how come and that parameter <blocksize> isn't available to choose or modify during creation of the zfs raid on node->disks->zfs path?

- Given the fact that I have a z-raid10 with x4 (512e=512 logical and 4k physical block) ssds (enterprise ones) for the VMs and they are all
Window Server 2019 DC / SQL / RDS / X2 WIN11 which are all ntfs formatted so 4k filesystem, what is the best value to set to the zvol ?
Compression is enabled to default so lz4, Dedubl =no and ashift=12.
In my old setup had changed it to 4k but still not sure if it's the best value for performance and avoid wearing out the drives too quickly as well.

- Read somewhere that this value (blocksize) can t be changed afterwards but I don't think that is true, since it would come in contradiction with the ability GUI gives you to change it's value. Else it would be a greyed out option.

-Both zfs get all and zpool get all commands don't give info about volblocksize. Is there a command to check the current block size of a zvol via cli?

Record size option has a default value of 128k which corresponds to the filesystem of zfsVOL while blocksize is the block size of it if I can recall.
Does this has to be changed accordingly if I change the volblocksize to 4k. In general which of the two or both do i need to change for the above
configuration of mine?

As about the thin provision checkbox when going to Datacenter->storage->name_of_storage_you_created->options .
If someone used for VM's storage raw space instead of qcow2 is there a point of enabling it?
I know what it does, what I don't know is it's effect on raw storages.

Thank you in advance.

PS All these years experimenting with proxmox installation/configuration I have kept my own documentation in order not asking same things and have a quicker way of finding configuration parameters. Yet those questions above still are in questionmark in my mind so please don't answer with general links where somewhere inside there is a line that maybe maybe not answer my question. I would be greatful for answers as close if not exactly for my use case since this is the configI follow to all setups.

Thank you once more.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!