bindmount NTFS drives to CT - No files

square_eyes

Jul 9, 2023
I have a few NTFS drives I want to mount to the PVE host and bindmount them to a CT. I think I have figured out bindmount OK, and the mount shows up on the CT when I do it without the NTFS drive mounted on the dir (I can create and share files too). However, no files are there, when I mount the NTFS drive on the same dir in the host. When I navigate to the files in the PVE host, they are there.

Here's what I did...

In the host...
mount -t ntfs-3g -o uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/bindmounts/ntfs01

nano /etc/pve/lxc/104.conf

mp2: /mnt/bindmounts/ntfs01,mp=/mnt/bindmounts/ntfs01

I also tried chowning the mounted dir in the host and rebooting the CT
chown 100000:100000 /mnt/bindmounts/ntfs01 -R

Last edited:
OK I got it to work. Turns out I couldn't mount a parent directory where sub-directories were the mounted drive(s). You can't tell that's what I was trying to do as I simplified the example above. I was actually trying to do this...

mount -t ntfs-3g -o uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/bindmounts/ntfsdrives/ntfs01

mp2: /mnt/bindmounts/ntfsdrives,mp=/mnt/bindmounts/ntfsdrives

I was hoping I wouldn't need a separate reference for each mounted drive (just the parent) but looks like that is not possible.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!