Better guest list visualization suggestions

G

GomoX

Hey,

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the Proxmox development team on this amazing piece of work. The quality of the product is outstanding and the functionality delivered is too. The mixed environment (OpenVZ/KVM) is great for our use case because we spin off machines in order to run automated tests for our software. Containers are super light and therefore great for this purpose. KVM does the rest (windows machines, specific servers with propietary software that otherwise would be locked to the physical machine, etc).

This said, I would like to propose a UI improvement. I think it would be great to allow administrators to define named groups of guest machines in order to:
  • Easily view nodes by categories and types that users can define. For example, I run a few "real" servers (domain controllers, CI master, bug tracker, repositories) and then a lot of misc stuff that gets built and trashed either once in a while (internal "demo" servers for showing to customers on remote sessions) or every day (test slaves that are used by our automated test systems).
  • Ease permissions and administration (i.e define a path for a machine group and then assign permissions in batches instead of one by one)

I am thinking of a tree view that would be very much like the existing ones, but allow me to define groupings. I would therefore have 3 main folders (servers, demo, test) grouping the actual guests under them. This would ease the visualization very much with little development effort required.

While we are at it, two other small things would improve the UI:
- More similar icons in the list for VZ and KVM machines. The emphasis right now is on the virtualization type, but I think it's hard to tell whether a machine is on or off and this is more important information. I think a unified color (say, green for "on" and gray for "off") would make the list much better.
- A "hide offline guests" button a la Skype/MSN/etc, to remove the cruft when you don't care about it.

Let me know what you guys think. If you are open to it I can have one of our design guys put some icons together for the list :)

Regards,

Gonzalo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!