best X520-da2 card driver

frednks

Jul 27, 2020
added a PCIe card, Intel X520-da2 with two 10Gbs SFP + ports
My server is Dell PowerEdge.

The proxmox recognized the PCIe card, everything was ok.
I checked the version of my card, and this was the result:
driver: ixgbe
version: 5.1.0-k

My question:
Which driver is best for this card?
How do I update the driver for this card? Or better to use this proxmox driver?

By Life Cycle from Dell it does not show the firmware version of this card!
I already tried to update the firmware by downloading from the Dell website, but none worked!

If the NIC works with the driver in the pve-kernel I would suggest that you keep using that.
While intel does offer out of band modules for the ixgbe drivers - they can also cause interoperability problems - so I would only install them if there is a problem with the current driver and NIC combination (in that case I would first try to update the firmware of the system and the NIC if possible
(AFAIR Dell does provide Firmware updates for quite a while and also ones for NICs)

I hope this helps!

By Life Cycle from Dell it does not show the firmware version of this card!
I already tried to update the firmware by downloading from the Dell website, but none worked!

do you have buy your intel card at dell ? because dell firmware && lifecycle works only with dell oem firmware cards.

if not, you need to download firmware update tools from intel website directly.

If the NIC works with the driver in the pve-kernel I would suggest that you keep using that.
While intel does offer out of band modules for the ixgbe drivers - they can also cause interoperability problems - so I would only install them if there is a problem with the current driver and NIC combination (in that case I would first try to update the firmware of the system and the NIC if possible
(AFAIR Dell does provide Firmware updates for quite a while and also ones for NICs)

I hope this helps!
thank for answer

the NIC card is installed, proxmox recognizes it, works on the VM in PASSTROUGH mode.
however in production the board does not pass more than 2Gb / s, and the port for being 10Gb was to pass more than 2Gb / s.
so I want to update the firmware of the NIC card.

On the Intel website there is an .EXE file for linux, I found it strange, I put OS Linux, and the file is .EXE!
do I have to use Winehq to install this .exe?

do you have buy your intel card at dell ? because dell firmware && lifecycle works only with dell oem firmware cards.

if not, you need to download firmware update tools from intel website directly.
thanks for answer
the NIC Intel not from Dell
so then the lifecycle does not update the firmware, I was already suspicious of that!

@spirit tanks. I hadn't noticed, but it also has the linux version in the intel download center.

do i run this proxmox? and not in the VM, is that it?

@spirit tanks. I hadn't noticed, but it also has the linux version in the intel download center.

do i run this proxmox? and not in the VM, is that it?

yes, not i the vm, on the hypervisor of course. I don't have intel card, so I can't tell you how exactly it's works.

the NIC card is installed, proxmox recognizes it, works on the VM in PASSTROUGH mode.
however in production the board does not pass more than 2Gb / s, and the port for being 10Gb was to pass more than 2Gb / s.
so I want to update the firmware of the NIC card.

Just looking at these numbers and wondering, are we talking about GBit/s or Gbyte/s?.

@spirit LOOK THATS!!

yesterday i added a new PCIe card, developed by Dell, also with intel x520-2 chipset.

after added to the server, the lifecycle identified it, and an update has already appeared for download.
I downloaded and installed the latest firemware by lifecycle.
After upgrading, the old PCIe card that was passing 2.2Gbyte / s started to pass 9.2Gbyte / s !!

I believe that because the two PCIe cards are Intel x520-2 chipset, when the lifecycle updated the dell card, also updated the other.

I'm really satisfied now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!