Best way to move to another device?

thusband

Jun 30, 2022
I have an older i3 NUC which has one PVE, a container and two VMs. I also have a newer i7 NUC that I'd like to use instead. Can I transfer everything by installing Proxmox on the new i7, create two VMs and a container and then somehow copy the backups from the old i3 to the new i7 and restore them to the new VMs and container?

Or is there a simpler/better way?

You don't have to create VMs and containers to restore existing backups. Just copy the backup, using scp via your network or by USB flash, to your new storage and restore them.

Given that Proxmox is based on Debian GNU/Linux, you probably could just move your drives to the new machine and boot successfully. You will need to login to the Proxmox console (with a display and keyboard) and change /etc/network/interfaces because the new network device probably has a different name than the old one. Also make sure to disable automatic starting of VM's, especially one with passthrough (which you will need to change manually because PCI ID's will be different).

You don't have to create VMs and containers to restore existing backups. Just copy the backup, using scp via your network or by USB flash, to your new storage and restore them.

Given that Proxmox is based on Debian GNU/Linux, you probably could just move your drives to the new machine and boot successfully. You will need to login to the Proxmox console (with a display and keyboard) and change /etc/network/interfaces because the new network device probably has a different name than the old one. Also make sure to disable automatic starting of VM's, especially one with passthrough (which you will need to change manually because PCI ID's will be different).
OK thanks. While sounding simple it probably won't be for this new guy but I'll dig into it.

OK thanks. While sounding simple it probably won't be for this new guy but I'll dig into it.
The first option will be easiest: install Proxmox on the new system, make sure it works. Then copy the backups via USB flash from the old system's Storage (using the cp command on the console) to the new system's Storage location (using the console). Then restore via the Proxmox web GUI (from the Storage).

The first option will be easiest: install Proxmox on the new system, make sure it works. Then copy the backups via USB flash from the old system's Storage (using the cp command on the console) to the new system's Storage location (using the console). Then restore via the Proxmox web GUI (from the Storage).
Got it, I think. Many thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!