Best way to have VMs on a separate VLAN

Aug 19, 2019
Greetings,

I am wondering what the best way to separate network traffic using VLANs and Proxmox.

I have a Juniper EX4200 with three Proxmox host machines connected to it on the NIC eno0. We want to separate network traffic of the VMs and host machines into their own VLAN to reduce the damage of IP hijacking (where a VM adds and uses an IP that it isn't assigned).

I came across an article on the wiki about Open vSwitch, and we're wondering whether we should be using this to accomplish what we are trying to do. I have noticed that on the network interface settings of the VM, we are able to specify a VLAN tag.

What I was thinking we do is specify all VMs to be on VLAN 20 using VLAN tagging. Is this as simple as creating VLAN ID 20 on the network switch, setting the port to trunk and then updating the VM network adaptors? Is it possible, and should I be specifying a VLAN tag for the host machine's (not the VM's) traffic too, so on something like VLAN ID 10?

Finally, are there any better ways to help prevent IP hijacking on Proxmox? We want to restrict the user only to the IPs that they have been assigned.

Thank you very much for your response in advance. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Regards

To your first question, yes, it is as easy as adding the vlan tag to the network interface. We trunked the interfaces from Cisco switches.

See attached image.

Attachments

• vm vlan lag.png
    vm vlan lag.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: NessageHostsINC

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!