Best practises for proxmox disk file system?

pindaroli

Nov 23, 2023
Italy
I am going to install true nas on proxmox so hdd will managed by it in zfs.
Which file system is better to adpot for nvme and sata ssd reserved for proxmox installation and use?
Available:
  1. 512 gb nvme
  2. 2 t sata ssd
  3. 256 gb sata ssd
Thanks for your suggestions
Olindo
Ps. I don't know stategies for snapshotting backup

I am going to install true nas on proxmox so hdd will managed by it in zfs.
Which file system is better to adpot for nvme and sata ssd reserved for proxmox installation and use?
Available:
  1. 512 gb nvme
  2. 2 t sata ssd
  3. 256 gb sata ssd
Thanks for your suggestions
Olindo
Ps. I don't know stategies for snapshotting backup
I would use the smallest drive for boot only and use the fastest drive for running the VMs off , one thing I have learnt is never store you backup and VMs on the boot drive , because if you corrupt your boot drive it is very difficult to get to your backups and a reinstall deletes the lot.
So are you using large HDDs for your zfs true nas pool ?.
My way which I'm not saying is right , I have a small nvme for boot , a 4 drive SSD raidx1-12tb zfs pool for my VMs and LXCs and backups , plus a second HHD 2 x iron wolf 12tb zfs pool mirror for backups and media/photos , plus a 8TB usb drive which I store the media/photos and put save in the garage and do a month or so backup.

Last edited:
I would use the smallest drive for boot only and use the fastest drive for running the VMs off , one thing I have learnt is never store you backup and VMs on the boot drive , because if you corrupt your boot drive it is very difficult to get to your backups and a reinstall deletes the lot.
So are you using large HDDs for your zfs true nas pool ?.
My way which I'm not saying is right , I have a small nvme for boot , a 4 drive SSD raidx1-12tb zfs pool for my VMs and LXCs and backups , plus a second HHD 2 x iron wolf 12tb zfs pool mirror for backups and media/photos , plus a 8TB usb drive which I store the media/photos and put save in the garage and do a month or so backup.
4x14t raidz2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!