Best Practices for Deploying Intel Servers with Proxmox

Connorwillie

Jul 16, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to deploy a new set of Intel servers and I want to integrate them with Proxmox for virtualization. I'm looking for advice on the best practices for this setup. Here are a few questions I have:

1. Which Intel server models are best suited for Proxmox in terms of performance and reliability?
  2. Are there any specific BIOS/firmware settings I should configure to optimize the servers for Proxmox?
  3. What RAID configurations are recommended for Intel servers running Proxmox?
  4. Are there any known compatibility issues or tips for using Intel NICs with Proxmox?
  5. Any suggestions for monitoring and managing these servers effectively within a Proxmox environment?
Thanks in advance for your help!

- Proxmox is build on Debian, so anything you find, capable of running Debian, will be able to run proxmox.
- Proxmox has zfs software Raid build in into the software, so I would advise using this instead of hardware Raid.
- As said, if the Nic is supported by Linux it, will work. If you are planning to run High-availability services on this cluster, I would advise to have a least two Nic, in each server, to use this as a Backup cluster Network.
- Get an uneven amount of servers for your cluster, if you are planning on getting four, try to get your hands, on another low powered one(technically a raspberry pi would be enough). It just has to give it's vote.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!