Best Option to Share files Across VMs

zuluromeo

May 12, 2019
Hello,

I currently run unraid in a VM on my Proxmox server. I would like to share the files on there to other VMs within the same node and am currently using NFS (looks like v4.2). In unraid, I am utilizing a cache drive, which is a NVME, so that I can have faster transfer speeds when adding files. The problem I have is that I believe when new files are moved from the cache to the array (HDDs), it breaks the file handling on the clients. All of the results I get when I search how to avoid stale file handlers is how to fix it, not how to avoid it. I read that switching to SMB and adding "noserverino" can possibly alleviate the issue. However, I am unsure what implications that entails.

Besides NFS and SMB, are there any other ways to share the file system? I am using unraid because I like being able to add and remove disks (even of different sizes), I can take out a disk and read it in another computer (it uses XFS), and parity is calculated in real-time.

My last option is the turn off caching and hope that my HDD writes do not slow down my downloads and other actions.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!