Best choice of File System and type of SSD for Proxmox (not the VMs)

logui

Feb 22, 2024
I am planning to build a Proxmox device using the Protectli VP4670, it has a SATA SSD Samsung 870 of 500GB and a PCIe SSD Samsung 2TB, thinking on installing Proxmox itself on the SATA SSD and leave the 2TB SSD for the VMs, what would be the most appropriate File System ext4 or xfs? Will the SATA SSD be fast enough for the OS? Know that VMs will be on the PCIe, thanks

Proxmox VE itself runs fine on an old HDD because it does not read much, however it does write a lot (logs, graphs, etc.). A SATA SSD will be more than fast enough, although i would not use one with QLC flash memory myself. Ext4 of XFS does not make a difference and depends on your personal preference.

Reactions: esi_y
Proxmox VE itself runs fine on an old HDD because it does not read much, however it does write a lot (logs, graphs, etc.). A SATA SSD will be more than fast enough, although i would not use one with QLC flash memory myself. Ext4 of XFS does not make a difference and depends on your personal preference.
Thank you, the SSD I am going to use for the VMs Samsung 990 PRO has TLC (Samsung V-NAND 3-bit TLC), with the default Proxmox installation with only 1 Node, are cluster services disabled, therefore less logs tot he SSDs?

Thank you, the SSD I am going to use for the VMs Samsung 990 PRO has TLC (Samsung V-NAND 3-bit TLC), with the default Proxmox installation with only 1 Node, are cluster services disabled, therefore less logs tot he SSDs?
The IOPS and writes to the SSD with VMs is only determined by the VMs (and the write possible amplification of the storage layer) and not by services and logs. Whether that drive is good enough for your VMs and your workload, only you can test. But it's probably fine, just make sure to install Samsung firmware updates.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!